Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Another newbee joining the team.

1. Back To Top    #1

Another newbee joining the team.

Just want to say hi ... and sorry for tons of annoying questions to come .

Last year we bough a new home with a 20' X 40' Fox in ground with spa in bad shape. We started with pool last summer - liner, cleaning, pressure test and winterizing.
    Since end of this winter is hopefully coming I am in the process of planning/quoting on mechanical side of my "waterhole". As you probably know by now it is a learning process for me.
    I am hoping to find some good people here that would let me use their knowledge in getting the right answers/choices. Right now I am trying to decide on brands / sizes types on all the equipment. Shopping for:
    - Filter (sand or insert) ... so far - Pentair Quad DE High Flow Filter | 100 Sq Ft
    - Pumps ... Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump VS+ 3.2kW 3HP Max as main and not sure about the boost for spa
    - Heater : so far
    Pentair MasterTemp HD Low NOx Pool Heater - Electronic Ignition - Cupro
    Nickel - Natural Gas - 400,000 BTU HD
    - trying to decide on salt or not ..if yes ......Pentair Intellichlor Salt Chlorine Generator | 60,000 Gallon Complete System

After that I will need to replace light maybe some control unit ... as you see everything I have so far is Pentair. Not sure if there is better choices ... considering product itself as well as price/warranty. I am on a budget ... hoping to put it together myself. I did talk with two pool guys ... they have their own opinions. I am a bit confused after. I was set on salt now one of them told me that it will destroy my liner ...?

It's probably little chaotic ... sorry. Please let me have your opinions, advise anything will be welcomed.
    Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Another newbee joining the team.

Welcome to TFP!!!

Filter: Filter sizes are based on the pool size and length of season. If I assume your average depth is 4' then your volume is around 24k gallons and you have a shorter season than us in the SW. So the filter sizes I would suggest as minimums would be:
    350 sqft cartridge filter or 28" diameter sand or 60 sqft DE
    That huge quad DE is likely overkill, but certainly will not hurt anything ... just means less frequent cleanings

Pump: If you have high electrical costs, then a VS pump can make sense. The Intelliflo is a nice full-feature VS pump. It is likely strong enough that you would not need a booster pump or 2nd pump for the spa.

Heater: Hands-down Raypak heaters get the most recommendations on the forum. They are simple and easy to work on. There is really no need to go to the Cupro Nickle. Bigger is better for heaters (assuming you have the gas pipes to support it).

SWG: Most people that have them love them. We recommend sizing for 1.5-3 times the size of your pool. So a 40k cell would be a good minimum size. Note that the Pentair may not be the best choice. Without a Pentair automation system, you do not have as much control over the output. And since a lot of the electronics are in the cell, replacement cells are more expensive.

One thing you need to be doing now also is learning about the chemistry so you can maintain the pool once you get it going. How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool

And of course ask questions as they arise.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

As usual, Jason has you well covered. Welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you guys ... how about :

Raypak Digital Propane Gas Pool Heater 360K BTU | Electronic Ignition | Cupro Nickel Heat Exchanger | P-R406A-EP-X #58 014953 P-M406A-EP-X #58 014981

Better than :

Pentair MasterTemp HD Low NOx Pool Heater - Electronic Ignition - Cupro
    Nickel - Natural Gas - 400,000 BTU HD - 460805

?

6. Back To Top    #6

Based on feedback ... Yes. And the 10% difference in output will not really be noticeable. Again you could save some by just getting Copper instead of Cupro Nickel
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

ok ... how about filters
    Originally this pool was running on Triton 2 TR 30or 36 not sure. I could go the same way ... but some people say that

Pentair Sta-Rite System:3 Modular Media Cartridge Filter | 450 sq. ft. | S8M150

would be much more easier with maintenance. What do you think ?

8. Back To Top    #8

The different filters all have pluses and minuses. It is personal preference. The easiest maintenance is with sand filters. Cartridges can be a nightmare if you are not on top of the chemistry and have to clear up algae blooms.

See:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...ter-comparison
    and
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...f-pool-filters
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    The different filters all have pluses and minuses. It is personal preference. The easiest maintenance is with sand filters. Cartridges can be a nightmare if you are not on top of the chemistry and have to clear up algae blooms.
    +1 on having to clean your cartridge filter every day or two if you are trying to kill some algae. But, I only let that happen ONCE! so far anyway ...
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

All I can add is to address the comment about a salt pool ruining the liner.

That's pure hogwash. Not true in any context.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

11. Back To Top    #11

Welcome to the best pool place on the 'net!

I used to have a cart. filter. I now have a sand one and LOVE it! Almost no work at all to "clean".
    -turn off the pump
    -open valve leading out
    -turn filter handle to back wash
    -turn pump back
    -watch water come out until it runs clean

The filter does all of the work really.

With the cart. ones you WILL get wet and it takes effort on your part to clean it.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Thank again guys for all the help.
    Where do you discharge from filter ... just to the grass?
    We talking dirty water only?

13. Back To Top    #13

Some people are able to plumb the backwash port into their sewage line (check your local laws). Most just backwash into the grass/yard. A build up of DE can have adverse effects, but using a fiber product instead of DE can actually be beneficial to the grass.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

I just run the tube out onto the grass. I do it to backwash and if I need to lower my pool from rain.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit