MaxFlo XL 1HP SP2307X102

Exactly, if whoever did that wiring did not use a 240v double pole circuit breaker at the source and instead used 2 single pole 120v circuit breakers you could have one breaker tripped and one breaker live supplying 120v.

Which is why that is against code.

Progress!!!
so I went back and measure the red wire when the 2 middle breakers are OFF, i got 0 volt across the white. the black wire still has 125v. when i turn on the breakers, both have 125v each. is this how it's supposed to be?
At least now i know the red wire has no incoming voltage. there's no panel in crawlspace. I went to the PG&E smartmeter outside the house and sure enough found a subpanel there, one of the double breakers did not want to go up all the way. I'm thinking this might be it! see pic, does this look like a bad breaker?View attachment 34551

Onto the switch, Dave i think i know what you mean from your other posts:
using a DPDT with center off:
on side 1 of DPDT:
hot wire 1 from breaker/timer -> middle screw
top/bottom screws wired together -> L2 on motor.
on side 2 of DPDT:
hot wire 2 from breaker/timer ->middle screw
top screw -> L1 (high speed)
bottom screw -> A (low speed)

Sounds like Dave was right and that one side of the breaker in the main panel is tripped and you were reading voltage on the red and black before due to back feeding.

That breaker certainly does not look right. Did you try to flip it all the way off and then get them both back on?

I have to say that both panels sure look like they could use a modernization :shock:

Jason, yeah i tried that...it seemed to slowly move up and stuck there...i'm learning a whole lot of different things last few weeks! do you have any bright ideas for modernization of the panels? :cool:
Sounds like Dave was right and that one side of the breaker in the main panel is tripped and you were reading voltage on the red and black before due to back feeding.

That breaker certainly does not look right. Did you try to flip it all the way off and then get them both back on?

I have to say that both panels sure look like they could use a modernization :shock:

At a minimum buy some new breakers that work in your panels. Beyond that, replace the entire panels ... then you are talking electricians and bringing everything up to code.

The first two 20 amp breakers from the bottom of the feeder panel looks as if the bottom one of them is tripped. In order to get the pump working you need to make sure that it resets by flipping both of them completely off and back on. If they won't reset, then you need to figure out if it's because of a short tripping one side or a bad breaker.

As for the DPDT switch, it appears that you have the wiring correct for it.

I went back to the feeder panel and flip both 20amp breakers on and off a bunch of times, this fixed the stuck breaker. everything's working now, pump has finally started after almost 3 weeks and a disgusting pool that was maintained only by my solar cover, Aquabot 4WD and lots of chlorine. turned out the T104 motor wasn't dead, it was the breaker that i never thought of being THE problem...the old single speed pump might still be working! it's loud and has delay start problem though, plus expensive to operate so new pump is still worth it.

Thank you all for your help, you guys rock! Cost was $400 for the pump and some plumbing supplies + switch, the alternative would have been ~$1800 installed by a professional (variable speed).

I would still not trust that breaker setup and would replace the with a true 230V breaker. You can even get one that would replace both in the sub panel that has the 230V built in between 2 115V volts.

Sometimes obvious things aren't so obvious. :)

I'm glad that you were able to find and correct the problem as easily as you did.

You probably were going to need to buy a new pump soon anyway so it's good that you didn't wait until full blown summer and have it quit on you and then still have these breaker problems.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
it's so true, LOL. it's a good thing that the weather is still cold i was happy to find that the pool didn't turn green yet.

Sometimes obvious things aren't so obvious. :)

I'm glad that you were able to find and correct the problem as easily as you did.

You probably were going to need to buy a new pump soon anyway so it's good that you didn't wait until full blown summer and have it quit on you and then still have these breaker problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.