Finally have my results!!

Aug 14, 2008
Well, after DHL smashed my first test kit, I finally received the replacement today and tested the water. (btw, the people I ordered the TF-100 kit from were incredibly kind and helpful). Here are my results:

Plaster 30,000 gallon in ground pool w/ waterfall, DE filter
FC - 13.5
CC - 0.5
TC - 14
PH - 7.6
TA - 90
CH - 210
CYA - 90

It's raining today and a bit cooler- I don't know if that effects things? Any suggestions? Help!!!

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply! We just bought a house that came with a pool, so I'm not sure where the chlorine level normally is? The water looks very clear and we don't have a SWG. The previous owners were using chlorine pucks and I would like to move away from that and just use the BBB method mentioned here. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

If you are going to continue using trichlor tablets you should raise the TA to between 100 and 120. If you are switching to bleach then leave the TA alone.

Your CYA level is quite high. It would be a really good idea to stop using the trichlor tablets, since they raise CYA. You can get along with the CYA level where it is, but lower would be much better. Any higher than that and you are likely to start having problems.

You can lower the FC level a little. With CYA at 90, normal FC levels are between 7 and 12 and never below 7. If you stop adding chlorine for a day or two, that will probably bring the FC level down to where you want it. There is no real harm in the FC level being where it is, except you are using a little more chlorine than you really have to.

Everything else is fairly good. Longer term, if you have a plaster pool, you might want to raise the CH level up to 250, particularly if you are switching to bleach. But there is no rush on that.

Repeating what Jason said, I would suggest your only significant change would be to reduce your CYA down to 50 or so. Then, you'll be able to let FC drift down somewhere around 4ppm and use less.

I would also suggest not using the pucks...they'll just increase your CYA again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.