Pool Motor Runs only when the Booster Pump is on

Mar 2, 2015
CA
Something strange is happening with my pool pump setup. The pump does not run when run by itself. But it runs when the booster pump is on (for the vacuum). Any ideas?

My system details:
Sta-Rite InteliPro Pump VS-3050
Pentair BoostRite Booster Pump
Pentair SunTouch Solar and Pump controller
Pentair Legend Platinum Pool Cleaner

I have in ground salt-water pool with solar. The solar is off right now.

Thanks.

Welcome to TFP!

Did it ever work? Or is this a new/upgraded install?

That sounds like the SunTouch is programmed incorrectly, which would make sense for a new install, and seems less likely if the system was working correctly until just recently.

Thanks JasonLion. The system was working correctly. In the winter I am running the pump just at very late night (to avoid freeze), so I do not know when exactly it stopped working correctly.

If it used to work, but stopped, the most useful thing is to try and figure out what changed. Was there a lightning storm? Or did you reprogram the pump run time? Or really anything you can remember that changed at the same time that the pump stopped working correctly. Often changes that happened at the same time give important clues to what happened.

The next thing to check is the circuit breaker for the pump. It seems unlikely since it does turn on, but there is a remote chance that the circuit breaker for the pump tripped and it is getting power from somewhere else. In any case checking the pump circuit breaker is easy, so worth trying early.

The next step is to try turning the pump on from the from panel of the SunTouch system. The sequence is something like: Pool/Spa mode : Circuit on/off : Filter pump : On.

Thanks. I will check the circuit breaker and other suggestions tomorrow.

BTW, I am trying to turn the pump on from SunTouch panel. I can try turning it on from the pump panel directly. How do I turn the pump on directly from the pump panel?

I believe that you press one of the four speed buttons and then start/stop to run the pump manually from the pump control panel, but it has been a while so there might be another step first that I am forgetting.

With the connecting wire from the SunTouch controller connected to the pump (as it normally would), the pump keypad does not do anything. The pump display just shows "Display in not active!"

If I remove the connecting wire from the SunTouch controller to the pump and turn it on manually from the pump control, it works just fine.

The circuit breaker is also fine.

I checked the schedule and it is fine.

That pretty much narrows it down to the SunTouch configuration. Take a look at the Pumps menu and the various settings below it on the SunTouch. Make sure the correct pump type is selected (IntelliFlo) and the various RPM speed are set to something plausible and at least one of them is assigned to Pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.