pool pump replacement questions

Mar 2, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
I have a couple of pool pump questions before I buy. I am trying to lower my energy cost here in Arizona and the pool pump would be a good place to start. I currently have a 15k play pool with an inground cleaning system. I use a t-cell-15 for salt chlorination and c4025 cartridge filtration. I also have 3 panels on my 2nd story roof for pool solar and also have a waterfall/grotto slide combo. I have 2" pipe and the pumps are about 10-12 feet away from the pool and less than a foot higher than the water level at worst.

I have two separate pumps and currently control my equipment with an aqualogic AQL-P-4 control with a prologic board. The one pump is a Hayward
SP3015EEAZ Super II 1-1/2-Horsepower Pool Pump and it has a SF of 1.33. The second pump is the same and only controls flow to the waterflow/grotto/slide.

After reading the forum, I was thinking of replacing the main pump motor to a 2 speed AO smith STS1152R. I would then like to replace the impeller to a 3/4 HP(Hayward SPX2607C MaxFlo/Super Pool Pump Impeller, 3/4 HP). Does this seem feasable or am i missing anything? Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Welcome to TFP!

You plan is plausible. However, the challenge here is that both the in-floor cleaning system and the solar panels will need more flow than a two speed pump on low. That limits how much you can use low speed and thus how much money you can save. There is also a chance, not at all certain, that the in-floor system might need more than the 3/4 HP impeller can supply even on high speed.

Welcome to TFP!

You plan is plausible. However, the challenge here is that both the in-floor cleaning system and the solar panels will need more flow than a two speed pump on low. That limits how much you can use low speed and thus how much money you can save. There is also a chance, not at all certain, that the in-floor system might need more than the 3/4 HP impeller can supply even on high speed.

I understand the solar and in floor would require the high speed. We only use the solar one month on each side of the swim season. The 3/4 hp impeller would be for the waterfall/grotto pump. This is not attached to in floor system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.