Liquid vs granular cyanuric acid (i.e stabilizer.)

amati5

Sep 13, 2011
So Cal
I was told by the local store that granular will harm my SWG and should switch to liquid which is quite expensive. So starting last year, I used the liquid and the cya level doesn't seem to stay. Some of the reviews from Amazon also said it doesn't do much. I used to add granular cya up to level once a year during the opening season and forget about it until the following year without any problem. Now I found a much cheaper place to buy the liquid (instead of the rip off price at the local stores) but don't know if I should switch back to granular. The only advantage for the liquid I see is just how easy to pour into the pool. I usually have to wait for the following week to retest the water anyway to instant dissolve doesn't benefit me.

Is there any truth to the harm to the SWG by using granular and does liquid cya work as well as granular?

Thx

Is there any truth to the harm to the SWG by using granular and does liquid cya work as well as granular?

Thx

No Granular CYA will not harm your SWCG. Using the liquid form is just more expensive. The final result is CYA bonding with the chlorine in the pool.
From pool school:
CYA - Cyanuric Acid

CYA can be raised with cyanuric acid. Cyanuric acid is sold under a variety of names, including Stabilizer, Conditioner, Instant Pool Water Conditioner, Stabilizer 100, Stabilizer & Conditioner, etc. Instant Pool Water Conditioner is a liquid product which is significantly more expensive than the other forms.

Solid cyanuric acid should be placed in a sock, and the sock put in the skimmer basket. After adding solid cyanuric acid you should leave the pump running for 24 hours and not backwash/clean the filter for a week. Solid cyanuric acid can take up to a week to fully register on the test, so it is best not to test the CYA level until one week after adding some.

Thx for the responses. This is why I hate going to the local pool stores, feeling guilty for not listening to their recommendations after the free test. I am getting the Talor K-2006.

Granular CYA instead of liquid is only harmful to the pool store's profit margin.

And you can see how that "free" water test ends up costing you plenty in the long run. It's much better if you test, you decide what needs adjusting, and you decided where to buy it for the best price. Alkalinity Up is just baking soda in a fancy canister for 5X the price.

The TF100 has larger quantities of the reagents you use most, so it's a better value than a K2006. Same reagents, though. I'd buy it instead, unless you have Amazon gift cards to use up or something.

Get the TF 100. It's on sale right now, and it's a far better buy with more reagents. It uses the same Taylor reagents as well.

+1

When I don't know better, I'm generally a sucker for market leading name brands, but in the case of the Taylor kit vs the TFT kit (which is made up of mostly Taylor brand reagents), the TF-100 is the way to go. I've had both and the extra supply of reagents makes it a great value and the flat clear box makes everything very easy to get at.

+1

When I don't know better, I'm generally a sucker for market leading name brands, but in the case of the Taylor kit vs the TFT kit (which is made up of mostly Taylor brand reagents), the TF-100 is the way to go.

The TF-100 is 100% Taylor reagents. Bought in bulk and repackaged in reagent quantities that are more useful for how a pool is maintained.

The bulk reagents are bought fresh from Taylor and come with a 18 month guarantee from tftestkits (no other test kit does that).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can get your re-fills and parts for the 2006 there as well. The best thing about buying from there however is the customer service. In the unusual instance you have an issue, it's fixed without a question or hassle, and someone knowledgable actually speaks to you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.