Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AGP Depth Question

1. Back To Top    #1

AGP Depth Question

Hello All,
    I am wanting to go from my current ring pool to a Ultra Frame Pool this year. I have 3 boys ages 4 to 7. My latest ring pool was a 15'x30", which was a depth of about 24" or so. My concern is the depth of the water so that the pool is safe for my children. I wanted to get a pool that will last a few years and was looking at an 18'x48" Ultra Frame Pool. I called Intex to check the water depth for this pool and was told that the depth would be 42". With the ring pools I would fill the pool about 90% or so which kept the depth of the water a little more shallower, can you do the same with the Ultra Frame Pools or do you have to fill the pool up to the 42" depth? I don't know how deep the inlet and outlet for the pumps are and was hoping someone who has this type of pool could help me.

Thanks
    Tim

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: AGP Depth Question

Hi Tim, welcome to TFP.

I can't answer your question with 100% certainty, as I don't own an Intex but so many others here do so we can at least bump your topic to the top for an answer. I will say that I believe you have to fill the pool up because the intake is higher than the out put.

Someone should be by to clarify here shortly.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!

There is no such thing as a safe water depth for children. A person can drown in a few inches of water. So, there MUST be supervision regardless of the water depth. The water would have to be very shallow for the kids to be able to stand with their heads above water and usually the kids seem to prefer to swim around and dive under the water.

My 4 and 6 year old girls swim like fish all over our pool (including down the slide and jumping board in the 8' deep end) ... no lessons, just lots of time in the pool and parents willing to teach them. They grow fast and will quickly learn to navigate the water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the reply, I not looking for a safe water level, looking for a lower level than what intex told me.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Hi there, the pool if its round, shouldn't have a problem... Its the rectangle intex that have to be filled to the max so they sit properly....
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

6. Back To Top    #6

you will have to tell them not to jump off ladder, they are boys remember
    16 'x 48" Metal Frame Intex 5065 gallons, 14 Inch sand filter,Hayward Skimmer SP1091LX Dynaskim, Test Kit TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by POPPA S View Post
    you will have to tell them not to jump off ladder, they are boys remember
    Did that work at your house?
    My son and daughter didn't listen to us equally about that. We showed them, took out the Intex and built a gunite pool!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Of course the other safety advantage of having a deeper AGP is it's much harder for the little ones to climb IN once you take away the ladder

9. Back To Top    #9

Did that work at your house?
    My son and daughter didn't listen to us equally about that. We showed them, took out the Intex and built a gunite pool!
    no, but it is getting better!!!!!
    16 'x 48" Metal Frame Intex 5065 gallons, 14 Inch sand filter,Hayward Skimmer SP1091LX Dynaskim, Test Kit TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

The skimmer needs to be at the water level. The Intex skimmers tend to be adjustable, but I don't believe they will go more than 4 or 5 inches below their usual height (and maybe less).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes, they are adjustable. Seems like our intex skimmer might have adjusted down 6" max.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks everyone for the replies, Does the Pool Return Hose have to be below the water or will the pump be too strong and squirt the water out at too high of a pressure?

13. Back To Top    #13

The return can be above the water level ... but, this will aerate the water which will raise the pH more quickly and cool the water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

14. Back To Top    #14

I was at the store today, and noticed that the 18' round ultra frame intex pool comes with 2 pump inlets, is that new this year?

15. Back To Top    #15

I do not know what a "pump inlet" is. There is a suction line to the pump and a return line from the pump to return jets.

I feel like I recall something about the Canada versions have 2 suction lines, while the USA ones only had 1. Or maybe I got that backward ... you might be able to search the forum for that information.
    Jason, TFP Moderator