Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Time for a new pump =(

1. Back To Top    #1

Time for a new pump =(

I was hoping to get through this summer before buying a new pump ... but looks like the time is now!

Our current pump is only 3/4 hp and I've never had issues with not having enough suction - although I really never have to use the vacuum due to the location (I really don't battle with tree debris etc. Our robot generally picks up everything and if not I just grab a net. Also, I generally get away with running the pump for 8-12 hours a day in the summer, and I've never had algae issues as long as I keep up the testing regimen.

Due to this ... should I even consider a VS? I've looked at some pumps and it seems that the HP is the only specs given without really digging into owners manuals ... is there anything I need to look at?
    SwimNPlay AG 15x33 oval 48" high 12k gallons - Used pool set up July 2013
    Hayward sand filter, Sta-Rite 3/4 HP pump
    Kleen Machine Robot, TF-100 test kit
    Central NC

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Time for a new pump =(

I would not suggest a VS. The payback on them is forever unless your electric rates are California style
    (they're not for you and me in NC )

It sounds like a direct replacement would be your best bet but certainly nothing bigger than a 1 hp.

You could consider a 1 HP 2 speed but I am reluctant to suggest that because you have such a good grasp of your pool water management.

Your's sounds like a case of, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!".
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Time for a new pump =(

Thanks! I am not sure the exact age of this pump - it came with the used pool - so at least 10 years old ... I am guessing it has lived a long enough life!
    SwimNPlay AG 15x33 oval 48" high 12k gallons - Used pool set up July 2013
    Hayward sand filter, Sta-Rite 3/4 HP pump
    Kleen Machine Robot, TF-100 test kit
    Central NC