Yet another Texas pool build!

ACK!!! Today is the worst day for a new pool owner.

My son's bday party is today so I really can't deal with the big baby in my backyard. I tested and there is no chlorine in it so I added a gallon of 11% chlorine to the pool. Also there is about a million leaves in the pool because of the windstorm. Here I am on my crutches trying to get all those leaves out of the pool. Well after about 45 minutes I think I only have hundreds of leaves in the pool. I filled my skimmer pole thingie about 3 times. I am having trouble figuring how to get the ones on the bottom up. I used the brush but they just move up slightly and stay in the same place. I figured out the skimmer net works ok at the bottom for the most part so I got most of them up. Basically my neighbors tree decided today it was going to release every leaf it has. It hasn't dropped but a few each day before today but today is the day!

I'll spend some time after the party testing and understanding the numbers. I'll add some more chlorine when I get home but the gallon didn't seem to do anything because I am still at 0. I did test my CYA and it seems to be between 40 and 50 but I don't know how good that is. My PH is still low so my bubbler is running and I have my pump going on a high speed right now because of the wind situation. Oh and we got rain in the middle of the night too.

Oh and my wife spent an hour brushing this morning. We are trying but at this point it seems like a losing battle. I know this is just a small speedbump but it feels like a brick wall today.

Oh and some photos but I just did quick ones as I was frustrated and freezing.

2C66C05C-8294-43D3-8570-0A8A2037B893_zpswmwrm9jn.jpg

70EE7272-2945-4CDC-9132-62CB0709433B_zps7ailrg0h.jpg

I don't see any leaves. Looks great! Good camera angle. Enjoy the party. Pools do take more effort at the beginning, ask Suz. But it settles down.

Low pH for a short period is no issue. Though not the best on equipment, a very common method of pool startup is to dump gallons of MA in (say 3-6 depending on pool size) to lower the pH significantly to allow plaster to be softened a bit so that when brushed it exposes aggregate. That's how ours was done. So our pH was off the charts low for about three days. It rose to back on the charts after three or four days just naturally (from the plaster doing its thing). No harm done.

As mentioned above, pools KEPT out of range are likely to have problems, pools that slip out of range and are corrected are no issue. Sometimes with a required countermeasure but often not.

IT IS AWESOME! I can see the shine in the picture! I LOVE the color!

What you are going through is normal. Your son's B-day is THE most important thing today. Go and enjoy it! The pool will still be there AND it will be fine!

For the bottom you can get a manual vacuum head. It is like a brush so is safe to use on new plaster. Here is a link to one I use.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/11.25-Swimming-Pool-Weighted-Liner-Butterfly-Vacuum-Head-with-Bumper/44917683

What I do is run the head over a leaf and kind of shake or move the head until the leaf is sucked up. Do NOT run it over a large amount of leaves at one time.

You can also use this kind of net but use care to not gouge the plaster.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Swimline-Hydro-Tools-8040-Professional-Heavy-Duty-Deep-Bag-Leaf-Rake-Pool-Net/39130966

HUGS! You will get it all dialed in. Between your foot, the build from somewhere, your son's B-day, daily life, etc you have a lot on your plate. We will get you through it and your will have a smile on your face soon!

Kim

I agree with Kim!! No, no, no - No brick wall! Just another day in the life of a pool owner!! (That's now YOU, Umm! Gee that's fun to say!)

The pool looks fabulous! I LOVE the color! With the beads, your pool rivals Spool's! That's huge coming from me. And your photos aren't even under the best of conditions!

I do love the shot of the entire pool in the shade. Your place is so wooded or surrounded by trees making the pool look like a lovely cool pond in the forest! We just need a bunny and a fawn standing by the water's edge!

I know I can't make you relax. It will take a bit for all that adrenaline of worry and frustration you've been living on the last many months to subside. But do your best to slow down your brain, your thinking, and relish the beauty of all your efforts. A pool is much like a new baby but with a major difference. About the worst to happen to a pool at this stage is turning green. Your children are thriving, so too will your pool. To take a quote from 'Moonstruck', SNAP OUT OF IT! and enjoy...

Hugs and giggles,
Suz.

Well still busy today. My father-in-law was a blessing and vacuumed the pool for me this afternoon. He got all the leaves out but there are plenty more in there now. I will vacuum them tomorrow. The chlorine is now where the pb wants it but I am worried with all the vegetation going in there. My wife brushed the pool twice.

My son had a great birthday.

One other pain about this wind storm is my roof is losing shingles. I will have to get someone out pronto for that.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are my test results
FC-1
CC-.5
CH-125
TA-60
CYA-45
PH-6.8

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is some wind storm to be taking shingles off your house! SCARY! No wonder the leaves are coming down so hard and fast!

NICE of the FIL to vacuum for you! Good job wife on the brushing TWO times! Way to step up and get the job done!

If I remember correctly Suz said her pool drank bleach like mad at the beginning. Just something to keep an eye one.

Your PH sure did not come up very much. Interesting how each pool is so different!

Kim

I don't see any leaves. Looks great! Good camera angle. Enjoy the party. Pools do take more effort at the beginning, ask Suz. But it settles down.

Low pH for a short period is no issue. Though not the best on equipment, a very common method of pool startup is to dump gallons of MA in (say 3-6 depending on pool size) to lower the pH significantly to allow plaster to be softened a bit so that when brushed it exposes aggregate. That's how ours was done. So our pH was off the charts low for about three days. It rose to back on the charts after three or four days just naturally (from the plaster doing its thing). No harm done.

As mentioned above, pools KEPT out of range are likely to have problems, pools that slip out of range and are corrected are no issue. Sometimes with a required countermeasure but often not.

Thanks for your insight. I think that is what they must have done. I know mine is almost into the 7's now.

IT IS AWESOME! I can see the shine in the picture! I LOVE the color!

What you are going through is normal. Your son's B-day is THE most important thing today. Go and enjoy it! The pool will still be there AND it will be fine!

For the bottom you can get a manual vacuum head. It is like a brush so is safe to use on new plaster. Here is a link to one I use.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/11.25-Swimming-Pool-Weighted-Liner-Butterfly-Vacuum-Head-with-Bumper/44917683

What I do is run the head over a leaf and kind of shake or move the head until the leaf is sucked up. Do NOT run it over a large amount of leaves at one time.

You can also use this kind of net but use care to not gouge the plaster.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Swimline-Hydro-Tools-8040-Professional-Heavy-Duty-Deep-Bag-Leaf-Rake-Pool-Net/39130966

HUGS! You will get it all dialed in. Between your foot, the build from somewhere, your son's B-day, daily life, etc you have a lot on your plate. We will get you through it and your will have a smile on your face soon!

Kim

Thanks for the reassurance. I am in a much better mood today. Yesterday was tough. Luckily my neighbor owns a huge roofing company or I would have been in shambles. I spoke to him today and he said "you too?" So there are several homes in the culdesac that have roof issues.

I agree with Kim!! No, no, no - No brick wall! Just another day in the life of a pool owner!! (That's now YOU, Umm! Gee that's fun to say!)

The pool looks fabulous! I LOVE the color! With the beads, your pool rivals Spool's! That's huge coming from me. And your photos aren't even under the best of conditions!

I do love the shot of the entire pool in the shade. Your place is so wooded or surrounded by trees making the pool look like a lovely cool pond in the forest! We just need a bunny and a fawn standing by the water's edge!

I know I can't make you relax. It will take a bit for all that adrenaline of worry and frustration you've been living on the last many months to subside. But do your best to slow down your brain, your thinking, and relish the beauty of all your efforts. A pool is much like a new baby but with a major difference. About the worst to happen to a pool at this stage is turning green. Your children are thriving, so too will your pool. To take a quote from 'Moonstruck', SNAP OUT OF IT! and enjoy...

Hugs and giggles,
Suz.

Thanks Suz!

I felt much better this morning waking up to the pool. The water looks so much better today. I can only see a minor hint of green in the deep end at this point. We about froze our patooties off brushing and getting leaves out this morning.

Like the water color
Thank you! I really am liking the finish. Like a parent of a new baby mine is the best haha!

Please give you little guy a hug for me on this wonderful day! Happy Birthday!

Kim
Thanks Kim! He had a great day.

Looks great! Depending on the trees you have in your yard be prepared for 9 months of leaves. I hope you don't have any oaks that hangover the tree like I do.
Yeah the funny thing I don't know what everything is. The previous owner planted everything so I have no clue. Thankfully all the oaks are on the right side of my lot. The pool is on the left. I do have the neighbor's tree which is on the fence line and two of my own mess makers.

Love the color and the beads! Did the kids get in the pool
No my son won't even stay outside. It is too cold for him. My middle one wants to get in but I am worried about it being too cold and the low ph.

That is some wind storm to be taking shingles off your house! SCARY! No wonder the leaves are coming down so hard and fast!

NICE of the FIL to vacuum for you! Good job wife on the brushing TWO times! Way to step up and get the job done!

If I remember correctly Suz said her pool drank bleach like mad at the beginning. Just something to keep an eye one.

Your PH sure did not come up very much. Interesting how each pool is so different!

Kim

I was so thankful he vacuumed for me. My wife can't put her arms above her head today they are so sore from brushing. We also bought another pole because the one they gave us keeps collapsing under the force of brushing.

I am resting while she goes to Walmart and gets baking soda and takes my oldest to get a book at Barnes and noble.

Since your PH is IN the 7s it is safe to get in. I would have him stick his feet in and see what he says THEN! LOL He will be out FAST I bet!

Do y'all have a teenager in the neighborhood that would like to earn some money??? Have them brush your pool! win-win!

Kim

Since your PH is IN the 7s it is safe to get in. I would have him stick his feet in and see what he says THEN! LOL He will be out FAST I bet!

Do y'all have a teenager in the neighborhood that would like to earn some money??? Have them brush your pool! win-win!

Kim

Maybe I might! Good idea for the teenager.

Well the water finally is finally free of green I think. I am so happy with how it looks. Almost free of leaves.

51F0BA2C-9DFA-4A6B-9736-FFA59774120E_zpsiqbqtxoo.jpg

1533546B-10F7-4ADB-BB31-831221588D0E_zpshpn41l7l.jpg

96BA3C7F-B41D-48C4-91E7-DBAF559F4C50_zpsyig4qekl.jpg

383CA5A6-DA95-4AA3-8326-940EBFA05B9A_zpsel8l9rdo.jpg

448B4623-8786-4D3D-A00D-01B6AC6FA82D_zpsungyml7l.jpg

Wow! That color is fabulous! So the question is now that you've seen the shells would you pay extra for them?

Yes I would definitely buy the glass beads if I could afford it. Before I had them I probably would have passed. They really pop even in the shade. The finish looks really unique and high end without looking like too much.

I don't have the shells :)

Hey teenagers ALWAYS need money.........they mow in the summer let them brush your pool now LOL

Kim

You are so right. We have a really nice one across the street. He is the son of the roofer. I will ask him.

That is stunning! Perfect setting for your pool! Or should I say the pool is perfect for your setting?!

I was wondering how it works with a pool finished this time of year. Since you're going to use a SWG system, will the PB switch it over in 30 days or wait until the weather warms up in the spring? I'm still a little fuzzy on how my SWG system works, but I know soon it will be cold enough that I start using bleach again during the cold months.

Like I said, being so new, this may be a dumb question.

Suz.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to say how much I love the glass beads. They really do change and enhance the look!! Just as beautiful as Spool's finish! (Did I really say that?? I didn't think I'd ever like a finish as much!!)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.