Testing Question

appstategrad

Jul 12, 2014
Hickory, NC
I have a hard time distinguishing colors when using a test kit. Last year was my first year of having a pool; I had a cheap test kit and used the strips that came with the build, but really didn't have a good grasp on what was correct after doing the testing. I mainly relied on the SWG readings and had zero issues. I'm the only one to do the testing, so asking someone else isn't really an option. Is it worth it to put more money into a more expensive test kit? Another issue I had was where do you do the readings...if they are done poolside the colors look differently b/c of full sunlight, vs. doing the test in the shade or in the house.

Thanks!

Sent using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum!

Yes it's worth it. When you consider the protection it offers on such an expensive investment, it virtually less than pennies. Test strips are unreliable at best. Do get a good kit, it's really essential to maintaining good control of the pool.

Testing is best done in a well lit area. Results won't vary but Cya, is a tiny bit different in terms of lighting.

+1 to what Patrick said. Having an accurate way of testing your water, understanding what those results mean and what to do or not do with the results, will make your pool maintenance very easy. Do yourself a huge favor and get one.

Absolutely its worth it.
We would recommend either of the test kits at www.tftestkits.net The TF 100 even though slightly more expensive, will provide the best bang for the buck.

Recommend to also refresh yourself in Pool School. Start with the ABCs. The basic knowledge of the chemistry and a test kit and you will be good to go.

YES it is SO worth it to get your own test kit!

One thing you can do is do the tests and take a picture of them. Post them and we can tell you the readings. Do that until YOU can "read" the colors on your own. I go as far as holding the white plate up behind the test tube to make I can see the colors without interference of backgrounds.

Welcome to TFP!

Kim

The white plate behind the tubes makes sense, thanks for that tip! I don't mind buying the kit or doing the testing, but having problems distinguishing colors is my biggest issue. Are the color results easier to distinguish on a more expensive test kit?

Sent using Tapatalk

They are MUCH better with the drop test kit like we all have. Then strips are NOT good. The colors are not true and have a wide margin of error.

We have been able to helps others that have trouble with colors by looking at the pics they posted and telling them our readings. After a while they were able to read their tests on their own.

Kim

Did anyone mention that the only test where the color matters in the recommended test kits is the pH? The rest of the tests require you to count drops until the color changes or the CYA you pour until you can not see dot. Much more accurate than tying to match colors.

I was going to say that.

For the main test, (FC)....The water turns pink....You put drops in until the pink goes away. There are no "shades" of pink so to speak. There might be dark pink and light pink, but its either pink or clear. When its clear, you're done.

The only one that is tough is the PH like Jason said. And I think everybody has trouble sometimes determining what shade red the water is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.