Help! Prologic Startup Issues and Water and Air Sensor Errors.

ssml11

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2014
Miami/Florida
Greetings! I'd like to use one more lifeline, please!

Last week I started up my Prologic PS4 Salt System for the first time since building the pool. I added the required salt into the water, left my pump running 16 hours per day at 1400 RPM, and set Chlorine to 65%. Just today I went to the pool store to check if the system did in fact generate chlorine, and nope...zero chlorine generated. The "pool expert" told me that the likely reason was that the flow sensor wasn't activating due to pool flow, because after seeing a picture of my equipment pad he saw that the sensor was installed after the cell. He believed the flow sensor should've been installed before the cell, to make sure flow is adequate.

I came home, read some more manuals and realized installation of flow sensor can be done either before or after the cell without any problem, as long as 12" of straight pipe are there. Then I went to the diagnostic of the PS4 and realized I was getting "flow" even at the low speed of 800rpm. So, plumbing wasn't my issue. A little more troubleshooting took me to a "freeze warning" section for the filter pump. I am in Miami, nothing ever freezes here...so I turned the freeze warning off. Immediately after I was seeing new stuff on the menu I wasn't seeing before, such as screen showting: water temperate, -28.16V, -2.5a, 2600 PPM. So, I will check chlorine levels again in 48 hours and hopefully by deactivating the freeze warning I am now being able to chlorinate the water.

I am now seeing the following errors still on the screen, and have no idea how to remove them/fix then:
- Check System: Wtr Sensor Open
- Check System: Air Sensor Open
- Air Temp Error
- Pool Temp Error

From the sound of it, those errors are all connected to likely the same issue. Any ideas of what could be causing it? Will it interfere with chlorination?

Your two issues are almost certainly unrelated. The SWG does not depend on the sensors mentioned in the error messages.

The SWG is probably working. However, is very sensitive to some of the water chemistry levels being properly balanced. If you post a complete set of water test results we can comment more specifically.

The error messages mean the water and air temperature sensors are either not installed, or not properly wired to the main control unit. Did you do the install yourself, or did a tech do it for you?

The salt shows 2600. Below 2700 and the system won't work for more than a few minutes (just long enough to measure salt levels) [Edit- Below 2,700 ppm, the system will show the warning light "Check System" but it will continue to produce chlorine until the salt level goes below 2,400 ppm - end edit]

Also, the diagnostic readings are about right for a T-3 cell. If you have a larger cell, then it might be a problem. It could be due to the low salt level or cold water. What water temperature is being reported in the diagnostics display and does it match the actual water temperature?

What cell do you have and it it properly selected in the menu?

If you have added enough salt, it might not be fully mixed. Try brushing the pool and running the pump for 24 hours.

I do have a T3 cell (wished I would've gone bigger here, time will tell.

Jason: only things I have connected to ps4 so far is the flow sensor for swg and salt cell. So far I haven't even connected the data cable for pump yet. So no, I do not recall doing any install for air or additional water temp sensor. Only water temp reading I am getting is the one from salt cell.

I wonder if by mistake the system is thinking I have those sensors installed when I fact don't have any. I looked everywhere for those settings but didn't find anything.

As far as chemistry goes, here is what I know from this mornjng: I needed to add some stabilizer (I was at 65). I needed to add 1/4 acid for ph, calcium was at 200, salt measured at 2500 with the pool store's scale...and chlorine was at like 0.2 (almost non existent). Last time I added any chlorine was two weeks ago. Since swag system didn't work last week I didn't generate any chlorine. I also added a chlorine free shock.

The water and air temperature sensors are "required". There is no way to disable them. If you haven't connected them yet, the error messages are to be expected.

You should be adding some chlorine manually until the SWG can be gotten to work. JamesW is almost certainly correct that it is the low salt level, though I would expect another error message about that.

As I understand it, ProLogic systems (except for the P4) should always come with three temperature sensors.

The water and air sensors are required, while the solar sensor only needs to be installed if you have solar heat. At some level it could in principal work without the sensors installed, but they designed it to always have the sensors installed and it will keep whining about it until they are installed. In addition to heat, they are also involved in freeze protection.

The system comes with two 10k sensors. One for water and one for air. (Edit- Sometimes 3 with one for solar as noted above).

If the sensors are not installed, the "Check System" Led will be lit. The "Check System" led will also be lit due to the low salt level.

If freeze protection is enabled and the air temperature sensor is not responding, I think that it defaults to freeze protection just in case.

I would recommend adding the sensors and increasing the salt level. If you have added enough salt, don't add more until you brush the pool and wait 24 hours and retest before adding more salt.

If you only have one sensor, I would connect it to the air sensor and then do the water sensor when it comes in. Connecting it is fairly easy. You just need a small screw driver to loosen the screws, insert the wire ends and retighten the screws.

Bingo. Found a pouch inside of the Prologic box with three identical sensors. Brown cable with black sensor head. I will read up on how to install those and get them set-up. No wonder my system is going haywire.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Note: The system will produce chlorine until the salt level gets below 2,400 ppm. Below 2,700 ppm, it will trigger the "Check System" led, but it will still produce.

The T-3 cell is the smallest cell and will need to be operated at a higher percentage or a longer run time or some combination thereof, than a larger cell.

The system might have been producing, but if the chlorine levels got too low and the percentage or run time was insufficient, then it might not be able to keep up with the chlorine demand.

Jay- I know :)
These guys have already bailed out of other worst ones! I practically built my own pool thanks to this forum.

So after leaving the salt cell properly turned on for around 8 hours, I checked the prologic just now and it is displaying 3000 ppm of salt. I didn't add any more salt though, weird.

And yes, I wished I had gone with a bigger cell, but the time to change it already past. I plan to run it aground at 100% until it gives.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.