Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does Travertine Deck Need to Be Sealed?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does Travertine Deck Need to Be Sealed?

Hello TFP Nation:

I'm new to this forum and in the process of building my first pool. Very happy to have found this site. My question involves whether my Tumbled Travertine Deck needs to be sealed or not. I've heard and read conflicting information and am not sure which way to go. We are in Southeast Florida and our pool will have a Salt Water system. My preference would be not to seal it if it can be avoided. I'd be curious to hear from those who have experience either way. Thanks!
    Southeast Florida Pool: 12K Gallons IG Gunite, Jandy 48 DE Filter, 1.5HP Jandy Stealth 2 Speed Pump, Build 02.15, Jandy Aquapure SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does Travertine Deck Need to Be Sealed?

Hi My2Sense,
    welcome to TFP.

Travertine when used around a saltwater pool should be sealed. There are some great sealers out that that willi not attract from the natural beauty of the stone. Travertine is porous, so in addition to protecting the stone from errosion by salt, it also protects the stone from staining by mold, stains from spilled drinks and food, etc.

As a maintenance task, you will need to reseal it periodically.

Here is a link that accurately describes what the effect of saltwater on travertine (or any other soft stone) are.
    http://www.travertinemart.com/traver...-water-erosion

hope this helps,
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

I appreciate the feedback, Divin Dave! I'd be curious if there are any forum members who have a SWG and have gone without sealant to hear what their experience has been. One of my concerns with sealing that I've heard about is that it causes the Travertine to become slippery. Thanks!
    Southeast Florida Pool: 12K Gallons IG Gunite, Jandy 48 DE Filter, 1.5HP Jandy Stealth 2 Speed Pump, Build 02.15, Jandy Aquapure SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

You're welcome M2.
    there are quite a few folks with travertine here. Im sure someone will chime in before long.

As a note, because travertine is smooth, it is inherently very slippery, sealed or not!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

My travertine is sealed. I was less worried about the effects of salt water and more worried about spills. It is not slippery at all. It has excellent grip under foot. I have tumbled travertine. I always thought honed travertine would be slippery but I have a friend who just remodeled his home and did his entire bathroom, shower and all, in honed travertine. He said it is not slippery at all. My brother was worried about bringing his kids over to swim because of the travertine. After one visit he and his wife remarked about how cool it was and how good the grip was. So go for it.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

6. Back To Top    #6

You can always take your chances with Travertine & saltwater. Maybe you win, maybe you don't......and maybe you don't even have SWG pool.

When it comes to organic matter, there is no wager: With Travertine & Red Wine, the red wine wins ever time. Forever.

We have small children and frequent guests, so if I had Travertine, it would be sealed.
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you all for the feedback. I'll keep you posted!

8. Back To Top    #8

I have tumbled travertine in my master bath. Color enhanced and sealed, and it isn't slippery. I then again, I don't run around the bathroom like kids might around a pool. Now a honed/filled travertine word probably be much slipperier (is that a word?)

Sealed travertine should look about the same as the travertine does when it's wet, btw. Color enhancing sealers do a little more to pull out the color and grain of the stone. We've had beige, noce, and even pewter travertine, and color enhanced all of them.
    15k in-ground plaster, Hayward C900 cartridge, 3/4hp single speed pump, Barracuda G2 cleaner, TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Some travertine tends to be a little slippery but some is not too bad. I have seen it used around salt pools with minimal problems with no sealer. However, the pools were not used frequently and did not get a lot of splash-out.

Travertine is a good looking product if it is done properly. Try to get samples so that you can check the texture with and without sealer. If you're going to get a lot of splash-out, consider using a good sealer like DuPont sealer for around salt water pools.