Fiber Clear and Sta-Rite PLD50

Sep 16, 2014
Harvard, MA
I have recently started using Fiber Clear instead of DE in my filter and I am very pleased with the improved clarity of the water. However, we have an ongoing iron problem and have used metal Sequestrants to keep it somewhat under control. I notice on the Fiber Clear package that it warns against using Sequestrants. I am wondering if this would apply to metal Sequestrants as well as to coagulant style clarifying Sequestrants? I have tried to contact Fiber Clear with this question, but they are not getting back to me.

Re: Fiber Clear

Well, I just don't know, but I'll be interested in the answer. I'm curious, is this caution because it fouls the media so quickly that it makes it cost prohibitive to recharge it so often?

That is curious. Many sequestrants specifically recommend using fiber products as a filter aid when using sequestrant.

Is it possible that you are mixing up sequenstrants with clarifiers? I can at least imagine not recommending clarifiers with fiber, even though there isn't normally such a restriction.

Their website says that Sequestrants and clarifiers will make the pressure rise and turn the Fiber Clear into a gelatanous substance that will be hard to clean off the filter. The bag says that metals "removers" can be used, but not if clarifiers or polymers are added to them. I thought most of the "removers" were Sequestrants. As frequently pointed out in this forum, there really isn't a product on the market that actually removes metals. Not that I've found anyway, and I've tried them all. Does anyone know of a metals product that does not have clarifiers or polymers in it?

I don't specifically know, but your question on that will be answered. As Jason said, most of them don't have them. "Flocs" and "Clarifiers"/Coagulants look to be the concern. Any reason you don't use regular Pool Filter DE? DE gets a pool about as clear as it can be done. I'm not criticizing you for using it, just curious why DE isn't to your satisfaction.

I don't like the DE because of the breathing and environmental issues, so I thought I would give Fiber Clear a try and it actually made the pool clearer. It's a lot easier to backwash, too. And it weighs a fraction of what DE weighs, which is a plus for this 67 yr old grandma. I like everything about it, if I can just figure out this metals issue.

OK, I understand. Well, metals are tough, and the only options you have really are a new cleaner water source, or constant addition of sequestrants. Unfortunately, there just aren't many options when it comes to metals.

Hi,
I sent a request to Customer Support at Fiber Clear about using Jacks Magic metal sequestrant. Hopefully they will reply back.

If and when they do, I will let you know what they said.

I also sent email to Jacks Magic. Jacks Magic also sells cellulose alternative to DE as well as sequestrants.
I will let you know if I hear back from them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

1. How many ppm of iron do you have? Is it in your fill water?

2. It seems fiber clear is the real stumbling block. Any thoughts on going to DE and taking fiber clear out of the equation?

Ive no doubt that's exactly what Jack Magic will say.

Looking at the MSDS, both fiber clear and Jacks magic fiber is made of cellulose, (they all are as far as I can tell). the main difference that I can find is mostly just the fiber sizes. If so, then I think it would be reasonable to think they would react the same... but Im not 100% sure. Hopefully, they will send a reply back to me. Will be interesting to see what each of them say.

She hasn't said what brand of sequestrant's she's using. Jack's sells fiber alternative themselves. Now if they recommend using both at that same time is another question.

Thank you, Dave. I really appreciate your help. My iron is 2ppm, and by the way, if you are still looking for feedback on CuLator. It did not work at all for me. I used it for three consecutive months and it did not affect the iron count at all.
The sequestrant I have on hand right now is Metal Magic, but Pool Magnet is the one I have found most effective.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.