Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fiber Clear and Sta-Rite PLD50

1. Back To Top    #1

Fiber Clear and Sta-Rite PLD50

I have recently started using Fiber Clear instead of DE in my filter and I am very pleased with the improved clarity of the water. However, we have an ongoing iron problem and have used metal Sequestrants to keep it somewhat under control. I notice on the Fiber Clear package that it warns against using Sequestrants. I am wondering if this would apply to metal Sequestrants as well as to coagulant style clarifying Sequestrants? I have tried to contact Fiber Clear with this question, but they are not getting back to me.
    New 4,500 gallon vinyl Endless Pool, Sta-rite PLD50 DE filter, indoor, heated. Well water with iron and copper.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fiber Clear

Well, I just don't know, but I'll be interested in the answer. I'm curious, is this caution because it fouls the media so quickly that it makes it cost prohibitive to recharge it so often?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

That is curious. Many sequestrants specifically recommend using fiber products as a filter aid when using sequestrant.

Is it possible that you are mixing up sequenstrants with clarifiers? I can at least imagine not recommending clarifiers with fiber, even though there isn't normally such a restriction.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Their website says that Sequestrants and clarifiers will make the pressure rise and turn the Fiber Clear into a gelatanous substance that will be hard to clean off the filter. The bag says that metals "removers" can be used, but not if clarifiers or polymers are added to them. I thought most of the "removers" were Sequestrants. As frequently pointed out in this forum, there really isn't a product on the market that actually removes metals. Not that I've found anyway, and I've tried them all. Does anyone know of a metals product that does not have clarifiers or polymers in it?
    New 4,500 gallon vinyl Endless Pool, Sta-rite PLD50 DE filter, indoor, heated. Well water with iron and copper.

5. Back To Top    #5

So they are worried about clarifiers, and are simply assuming that sequestrant contains clarifier (which it usually does not, but occasionally does). I can understand that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't specifically know, but your question on that will be answered. As Jason said, most of them don't have them. "Flocs" and "Clarifiers"/Coagulants look to be the concern. Any reason you don't use regular Pool Filter DE? DE gets a pool about as clear as it can be done. I'm not criticizing you for using it, just curious why DE isn't to your satisfaction.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't like the DE because of the breathing and environmental issues, so I thought I would give Fiber Clear a try and it actually made the pool clearer. It's a lot easier to backwash, too. And it weighs a fraction of what DE weighs, which is a plus for this 67 yr old grandma. I like everything about it, if I can just figure out this metals issue.

8. Back To Top    #8

OK, I understand. Well, metals are tough, and the only options you have really are a new cleaner water source, or constant addition of sequestrants. Unfortunately, there just aren't many options when it comes to metals.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

9. Back To Top    #9

So my question remains, can anyone recommend metals products that do NOT contain coagulants or polymers?

Thanks

10. Back To Top    #10

Hi,
    I sent a request to Customer Support at Fiber Clear about using Jacks Magic metal sequestrant. Hopefully they will reply back.

If and when they do, I will let you know what they said.

I also sent email to Jacks Magic. Jacks Magic also sells cellulose alternative to DE as well as sequestrants.
    I will let you know if I hear back from them.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

1. How many ppm of iron do you have? Is it in your fill water?

2. It seems fiber clear is the real stumbling block. Any thoughts on going to DE and taking fiber clear out of the equation?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

She doesn't like the DE for health and handling reasons. Perhaps chemgeek can give her some more tips on chemicals she wants.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

13. Back To Top    #13

Fiber Clear

She hasn't said what brand of sequestrant's she's using. Jack's sells fiber alternative themselves. Now if they recommend using both at that same time is another question.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

14. Back To Top    #14

Ive no doubt that's exactly what Jack Magic will say.

Looking at the MSDS, both fiber clear and Jacks magic fiber is made of cellulose, (they all are as far as I can tell). the main difference that I can find is mostly just the fiber sizes. If so, then I think it would be reasonable to think they would react the same... but Im not 100% sure. Hopefully, they will send a reply back to me. Will be interesting to see what each of them say.

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk View Post
    She hasn't said what brand of sequestrant's she's using. Jack's sells fiber alternative themselves. Now if they recommend using both at that same time is another question.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

15. Back To Top    #15

Looking forward to their replies as that will be some good info for my back pocket !!
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

16. Back To Top    #16

Yup. Sure will.

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk View Post
    Looking forward to their replies as that will be some good info for my back pocket !!
    Divin Dave,

17. Back To Top    #17

What about AquaPerl. It's perlite, a substitute for DE and celluose. http://www.intheswim.com/p/aqua-perl
    Doughboy 12' x 20' Saphire semi-AG, Installed 2012
    Waterway 1.5 HP 2 speed, 100 sqft cartridge filter
    Aprox 7000 Gal, Full sun, 85K heat pump,
    TF-100 test kit

18. Back To Top    #18

Thank you, Dave. I really appreciate your help. My iron is 2ppm, and by the way, if you are still looking for feedback on CuLator. It did not work at all for me. I used it for three consecutive months and it did not affect the iron count at all.
    The sequestrant I have on hand right now is Metal Magic, but Pool Magnet is the one I have found most effective.

19. Back To Top    #19

Both ProTeamŽ Metal Magic and BioGuardŽ Pool Magnet Plus have HEDP as the metal sequestrant. Since this is not a polymer, there should be no problem using them with Fiber Clear.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

20. Back To Top    #20

Thank you chem geek.

JackieK,
    If chem geek says it's so, believe it. He is the TFP residential chemical genius!
    When it comes to chemistry, he rocks.
    Divin Dave,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast