Pool/Spa combo spa draining water back into pool

Jul 6, 2012
Hi all,

I'm having a problem with a customers pool I can't quite figure out. It's a basic pool spa combo with salt and a heat pump.

The return actuator was having problems so I replaced it. Customer reports a few days later that when in spa mode water is returning back into the pool and dropping the spa level about an inch every few minutes.

I checked the actuator and it's set properly (Hayward). I replaced the guts of the valve and figured I was done. Problem is still occurring.

I replaced the valve body. The valve and actuator are now new. Same problem exists but now it is intermittent. It worked fine 3 times then it was losing water back into the pool again. I can feel a small amount coming out of the return. I've examined the valve and the valve looks fine. The whole valve is brand new.

I'm stumped. The only thing I can think of is the actuator has an issue where it does not fully complete the turn. But I have seen the problem occurring when the actuator looks like it turned fine. How could the valve not seal properly? Valve is Pentair btw.

Any help appreciated and the forum here is great btw.

Jason

Given that you replaced the valve and the problem persists, my assumption is that the valve is working and you need to look elsewhere. I could easily be guessing wrong, still it is a good moment to check (or double check) some of the other possibilities.

Have you checked the connection between the actuator and the controller? A loose or dirty connection could possibly do that.

Have you examined the plumbing to see if there is anywhere else the water could be going that taps off before the pool/spa valve?

Is there any part of the valve+actuator assembly that wasn't changed? It sounds like you swapped everything, but perhaps there is either some additional complexity not mentioned, or some small part that got reused instead of replaced?

Thanks for the reply.

Well I figured it out, and should have figured it out much sooner. Water was flowing back through the pool fountain return in the spa (fountain is removed). A bad check valve intermittently allowed water to flow back to the pool return when in spa mode.

Jason

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.