Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Hey All,

Just after closing my pool (in October) I noticed that the water level seemed to fall a couple of inches. I assumed the source of the leak was a spot that had previously been patched (it was patched when we bought the house, and then I re-patched it early last season as I saw the patch had pulled away). I reached down into the very cold water to try and pull the patch off and it ended up tearing the liner, maybe an 8 x 3 inch section, can't recall exactly. I patched this new large tear as best I could but the water was frigid so I am certain it is imperfect. Everything is frozen solid now so no leaking. It wouldn't seem that this would be too big to patch, but wondering if the way the liner tore is suggestive that it is time to simply get a new one? Just guessing, but the liner is likely 7-9 years old.

If it is time for a new liner, is there anything else I should think about doing, or simply pull out the old, and drop in the new? (I've never done anything like this so I would likely pay a pro to do it.)

Thanks!
Paul

Paul, I would replace the liner if it's that old. It's really not that difficult either. YouTube liner replacements in above ground pools to get an idea and get a few friends together and save that money for pizza n beer.

I would also not skimp on the thickness of the liner. Get the thickest in mill's you can.
I agree with Casey on the pizza n beer. Second thought, skip the pizza. Takes up too much room that could be used for beer !! Lol.

Ok... when we meeting at Paul's to get drunk? I mean put his liner in.... :mrgreen:

Well, I can see we have some pent up Northerner's in here! Thanks for the input. Was really hoping to add a heater this year so trying to be budget conscious, I may yet see if I can patch it up and survive one more season. I'll watch some videos on liner install as well, the current one has a number of large wrinkles at the bottom so wasn't sure if it took some amount of care/skill/experience to ensure that those wrinkles do not happen again.

What am I going to find underneath the liner? Sand?

More than likely you'll find sand that has algae n may have moldy looking spots. It's completely normal. You can treat it with bleach mixture sprayed on it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.