Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Time for a new liner??

1. Back To Top    #1

Time for a new liner??

Hey All,

Just after closing my pool (in October) I noticed that the water level seemed to fall a couple of inches. I assumed the source of the leak was a spot that had previously been patched (it was patched when we bought the house, and then I re-patched it early last season as I saw the patch had pulled away). I reached down into the very cold water to try and pull the patch off and it ended up tearing the liner, maybe an 8 x 3 inch section, can't recall exactly. I patched this new large tear as best I could but the water was frigid so I am certain it is imperfect. Everything is frozen solid now so no leaking. It wouldn't seem that this would be too big to patch, but wondering if the way the liner tore is suggestive that it is time to simply get a new one? Just guessing, but the liner is likely 7-9 years old.

If it is time for a new liner, is there anything else I should think about doing, or simply pull out the old, and drop in the new? (I've never done anything like this so I would likely pay a pro to do it.)

Thanks!
    Paul
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Time for a new liner??

Paul, I would replace the liner if it's that old. It's really not that difficult either. YouTube liner replacements in above ground pools to get an idea and get a few friends together and save that money for pizza n beer.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Time for a new liner??

I would also not skimp on the thickness of the liner. Get the thickest in mill's you can.
    I agree with Casey on the pizza n beer. Second thought, skip the pizza. Takes up too much room that could be used for beer !! Lol.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk View Post
    Second thought, skip the pizza. Takes up too much room that could be used for beer !! Lol.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk View Post
    Second thought, skip the pizza. Takes up too much room that could be used for beer !! Lol.
    Third thought, skip the beer. Takes up too much room that could be used for margaritas !! Lol.
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JayBauman View Post
    Third thought, skip the beer. Takes up too much room that could be used for margaritas !! Lol.
    That's better yet !!
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok... when we meeting at Paul's to get drunk? I mean put his liner in....

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Ok... when we meeting at Paul's to get drunk? I mean put his liner in....
    When it warms up !!
    Jeff

9. Back To Top    #9

Well, I can see we have some pent up Northerner's in here! Thanks for the input. Was really hoping to add a heater this year so trying to be budget conscious, I may yet see if I can patch it up and survive one more season. I'll watch some videos on liner install as well, the current one has a number of large wrinkles at the bottom so wasn't sure if it took some amount of care/skill/experience to ensure that those wrinkles do not happen again.

What am I going to find underneath the liner? Sand?
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

10. Back To Top    #10

More than likely you'll find sand that has algae n may have moldy looking spots. It's completely normal. You can treat it with bleach mixture sprayed on it.