Wiring issue

am4uk

Feb 26, 2015
las Vegas/nevada
My pool had 2 fiberstar jazz lights. One was in the pool and one in the spa. I am replacing both of them. They are both connected to a intermatic t40004r box, each has 2 switches. One for the light and one for the color wheel. At the junction box there are 2 black wires and 2 red wires coming out of the intermatic. My new light only has 3 wires. My question is how should I connect these?

Welcome to TFP!

How are the three wires coming from the new light colored/labeled?

I would tend to assume that they are black, white, and green, but there are a couple of other possibilities.

For black, white, green: black is hot, white is neutral, and green is ground. The two outputs of the timer should also be black and white, and you want to match those, while the green ground wire get connected to the other ground wires in the timer.

That is correct. I have connected the ground wire and the neutral wires together. I assume that the red wires have something to do with the 4 switches that controlled the actual light itself and the color wheels. The old light was connected black to red, red to red, and white to white. If I connect as you suggested will the switches still work and do I just cap the red? I'll try to post a photo if I can.

I have connected the ground wire and the neutral wires together.
Never connect ground and neutral together! (except once at the main breaker panel)

You cap off the old red wire. The old light had two things that could be switched, light and color wheel. The new light only has a light, no color wheel, so the old color wheel switch has nothing to connect to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.