Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: spigot on the pressure side of the pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

spigot on the pressure side of the pump?

Many pumps I see have a spigot attached to the pressure side of the pump plumbing; usually immediately after the pipe leaves the pump outlet. I assume this is for pressure relief but now that I am at that point in my plumbing I can't afford assumptions. Most filters have a pressure valve; why not just use that? Putting male brass (metal) threads into a female pvc adapter is considered one of the weakest plumbing connections one can make (or so I have read).

Can anyone verify what that spigot is there for? Has anyone experienced any failures with similar plumbing?
    Light grey plaster, stone coping, 38K gallon Roman shaped pool with a shallow end beach, table and bar stools, deep end bench and waterfall (Intelliflo 4X160). Taylor K-2006, Pentair 320 chlorinator, Intelliflow VF, Quad DE 100. 4 ColorLogics, 3 skimmers, 14 wall returns, 13 floor returns, TurboTwister slide, autofill and miles of pvc.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: spigot on the pressure side of the pump?

I've sometimes wondered the same thing myself

Perhaps for a cart filter it might provide a way to 'waste' some water, but for a filter with a multiport, I can see no reason for it
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Put a garden hose on it and you can water the lawn while draining the pool.

I don't have a spigot but I had the plumber put in a drain port that allows me to drain the pool very quickly if I need to. I've used it several times when I need to do a partial refill. I think you could use the spigot in the same way if you don't have a backwash valve.

Also, it might be a good way to pressure test if you suspect a leak but then you need to close off all the returns and suction ports to hold the pressure.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

A&S pools have a spigot on the pump discharge (before the filter). It is used in winterizing the pool. This is where my pool guy hooks up his air compressor to blow water out of all the pool discharge and suction lines when I winterize the pool.

I also sometimes use this as my pool water sample point since I can draw the water off the main drain from the spigot. Useful if I have the solar cover installed since the cover affects the pool circulation and mixing and I can not get an accurate sample from the side of the pool.
    Don SW Florida
    10,000 gal in ground concrete pool
    Pentair Cartridge filter, Pentair SWG, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump (11018)
    FAFCO solar panels w/Pentair SolarTouch controller
    using BBB for pool chemistry/Lamotte ColorQ tester for daily testing

5. Back To Top    #5

thank you all for the replies,

All the pumps I have seen have multiport valves and we don't winterize our pools here in Central Texas so the most likely scenario is that these were installed for initial pressure testing. That didn't even occur to me before reading the replies. Once the pool is built it doesn't really serve any further purpose but could become a maintenance issue in the future for those who have them.
    Light grey plaster, stone coping, 38K gallon Roman shaped pool with a shallow end beach, table and bar stools, deep end bench and waterfall (Intelliflo 4X160). Taylor K-2006, Pentair 320 chlorinator, Intelliflow VF, Quad DE 100. 4 ColorLogics, 3 skimmers, 14 wall returns, 13 floor returns, TurboTwister slide, autofill and miles of pvc.

6. Back To Top    #6

I placed a spigot on the pressure side of my pump after our summer rains started here is west central Florida. I found that I was having to pump water out of the pool on a weekly basis. However I found in Home Depot a plastic spigot, so no metal .
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have one in Southern California -- not for winterizing here!

I use mine when cleaning the pump basket. If I open the pump first, all the water overflows out from the filter. If I turn the air releaase on the filter to let the water out, the water runs backwards through the pump and carries the stuff back into the pool.

If I turn the spigot slowly to let air in, it seems to minimize the back-wash of water and lets the water out of the filter the correct way.

(luckily my spa is at the height of the pump and all I can help it prime faster by opening the spa valve to fill the pump with water )

Steve
    Pool: 625 SF Free-Form In-Ground Shotcrete Pool w/7.5' dia spa.(8 jets), 24" raised bond beam (22,500 gal)
    Pentair Equip: Intelliflo VF Pump, MasterTemp 400 Heater, IC40 SWG, Quad DE 100 Filter
    Automation: IntelliTouch i7+3 (+ extender panel), 6 Jandy Automated Valves (S, R, Spa Bypass, Solar, Cleaner, Spillway)
    Other: 75% Solar, Kreepy Kruiser Cleaner, Tan Hip-Hop Diving Board (a bit curved) on 606 Cantilever Base (SR Smith)
    Links: [TFP Pool Build Thread] - [TFP Landscaping Thread]