Hello everyone. We just moved into a house with a pool and I'm slowly learning all about it. I went through pool school with a local guy so I now know all the plumbing etc and how the equipment works. Unfortunately this happened after we had been in the house for a couple of months and now the pool is starting to turn green. The water is still mostly clear but it has a green tinge and there is definitely some build-up on the bottom.
I did a test last night with strips (I have a Taylors K-2006 on the way) and these are the results:
Salt 1100 (Aqua Rite says 1400)
I have shock & chlorine tablets and have stabilizer on the way. I will be picking up salt and acid tonight. The instructions on the Aqua Rite door says that the salt should be around 2500 so I'm sure I need to add salt - I estimate 125lbs to get to 2500ppm and I can imagine that the free Chlorine is zero since there is no stabilizer and the SWCG is not generating Chlorine.
So is it worth me adding salt and shocking the pool without having any stabiliser? Or should I just leave it until the stabilizer arrives (probably early next week)?
Thanks for the help! My pool details are in my signature.