Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Pea Gravel in sand filter?

Pea Gravel in sand filter?

I need to replace the sand in my filter. It is a 300lb sand filter for a 18,000 gal pool. If I put enough pea gravel in the bottom of the filter to cover the laterals will it cut down the capacity of the filter to much for my size pool?
    Bob
    18,500 gal IG Vinyl pool, 300lb sand filter/1.5 hp pump, 925V Hayward Navigator Pool Cleaner,
    192 sq ft solar heat, TF-100 test kit, BBB for pool chemistry and love it.
    Our pool build slideshow http://s366.photobucket.com/albums/oo10 ... =slideshow

Re: Pea Gravel in sand filter?

Nice pool pictures. Did you fill you whole pool from your well? I ask because I am on a well and am thinking about trucking in the water.

I would think the gravel will not filter as well, not as fine as sand for filtering.
    22x52 IG 56K gal 3.6' to 11.6' deep, TruTile w/Vinyl Liner IG pool w/ 12" wide safety ledge
    StaRite System 3 Cartridge filter 450sqft S8M450, Pentair IntelliFlo VF pump 3.2KW
    Hydronic in floor heat & StaRite SR400HD, Pro Logic PS16 w/2 40K Turbo cells.
    4 Hayward Colorlogic lights, Dolphin DL3002 Robotic cleaner
    Saint Charles, IL

I've done this in my old sand filter before switching to a cartridge filter. Who is the manufacturer for your sand filter? As soon as you find that out, check the manufacturer's website and see if gravel is recommended to cover the laterals followed by sand.
    18' AG Pool, 6900 gallons, 55 sq. ft. Hayward Easy Clear Cartridge Filter, 1hp Power Flow LX Pump, North Texas

Make sure you read this thread.

sand-filter-t8810.html

I run 20% pea gravel and have had no problem. The top sand does the filtering.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod30
    Make sure you read this thread.

sand-filter-t8810.html

I run 20% pea gravel and have had no problem. The top sand does the filtering.
    Looks good. I just covered the laterals about a one or two inches with pea gravel which is about 20%.
    Bob
    18,500 gal IG Vinyl pool, 300lb sand filter/1.5 hp pump, 925V Hayward Navigator Pool Cleaner,

Quote Originally Posted by divepool
    Nice pool pictures. Did you fill you whole pool from your well? I ask because I am on a well and am thinking about trucking in the water.
    Thanks, I did fill the pool with well water and it cleaned up just fine. But I'm having a problem with the sand in my filter and I don't know why.
    Bob

What problem?
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod30
    What problem?
    This is what I found in the sand filter yesterday.

not-sure-where-to-start-t8805-20.html
    Bob

Glad you used the gravel! No clue as to what caused the original problem, but that shouldn't happen to 4 month old sand!! It may just be that the PB used a chem that 'gummed' up the sand - this time just be sure to use only the chems we recommend and you shouldn't have this problem again. (You say you fill from your well, any chance of getting us some water test results - something in the back of my brain is wanting to see the chem levels) If it's not too late, please remember to backwash the filter after you've added new sand - the dust in the sand will make the pool cloudy if you don't backwash and rinse the filter before running it.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    (You say you fill from your well, any chance of getting us some water test results - something in the back of my brain is wanting to see the chem levels)
    OK, the water test results from tonight:

FC 5
    CC 0.0
    TC 5
    PH 7.6
    TA 120
    CH 250
    CYA 35
    Temp 80
    Bob