Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bury This Brand of Pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Memphis, TN

Bury This Brand of Pool?

Hi. Thank you for sharing your concerns for burring an above ground pool. These were very helpful in deciding whether or not I need to bury mine. Then, the other day came across this Medallion Pools Freedom Series above ground pool that is (according to manufacturer) designed to go completely in the ground. It seems that they address all the issues that you outlined. Can you please take a look at the link below and share your opinion on this? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by MEvan View Post

-The walls are not intended for such a purpose. The corrosive resistant coating is not meant for the rigors or being buried and exposed to mosture like that. In addition to this, the ph of the soil in many areas is acidic and will speed the corrosion of these thin walls.

-as was said above, this pool really cant be emptied. AG pools depend on the outward pressure of the water to maintain their strength. Once this is gone, the slightest amount of outside pressure will crush in the walls.

-aboveground skimmers and returns are not meant to hav outside pressure on them and will break very easily. AG skimmers are made of a much thinner material. An aboveground return cannot be properly resealed without access to the rear of the wall. If you cut the wall to adapt these to inground fittings the rust preventative coating is breached. In addition to this, any cutting of the wall is against manufacturer specifications

-manufacturer specifications usually list the maximum height you are permitted to bury AG pools at around 6 inches. Any violation of manufacturer specs leaves you open to civil liability in the event of an injury.

-inground pool kits can be purchased for around the same price as this project cost with a much better final product.

Im sure there is other stuff I am forgetting. I assumed that this pool was hard plumbed and AG hoses were not used underground.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bury This Brand of Pool?

Welcome to the forum!
    A lot of people partially bury AG poools. If the mfgr says they can be buried, then it really is a personal choice of whether you want too or not.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

3. Back To Top    #3
    Elverson Pa.

Bury This Brand of Pool?

Looks like a nice pool. I read some reviews on it and they were positive. I'd bury it.
    Let us know if you decide to go this route.
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4
    East Texas

Re: Bury This Brand of Pool?

Read their warranty and installation instructions VERY carefully. There is usually a lot of Devil in the Details about how they might require it to be back filled.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!