New pump recommendation please

AKStrong

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
Manor, TX
Looking for advice on new pump which I hope this forum will help with.

Bought a house with pool, and having never dealt with one I found the advice on here beyond anything I could have ever expected. With your help over 2 months I got the pool chemistry under control by switching to BBB and getting a TF-100 and testing regularly. Defeated some green stuff by SLAMing, brought CYA levels down from 200+ to 70 (previous owner was addicted to pucks) by a few partial drains/refills, and all in all getting a handle on it (I think).

The hardware part of the equation is OLD and needs TLC. Pool filter had a broken manifold so it was sucking in dirty water right along the clean (fixed) and other than that it looks in good shape. Some new cartridges and it seems to be doing OK, other than the pressure gauge not registering a reading. The original that came with the house was just plain broken and I replaced with a cheap pool store gadget that I suspect may be faulty. Got a new liquid-filled per this forum's recommendations, and it's going on next so we'll see.

That brings me to my problem child - the pump. It is a 2003 Hayward Northstar single speed that just does not hold prime very well and sounds like a combat jet with afterburners going. I've cleaned and reseated the large lid O-ring after giving it some lube, and for a bit it seemed to hold prime better but still no pressure reading at the filter. Prime lost again after about a week so definitely a leak somewhere. Got a Go-Kit and was considering replacing the seals to see if I see improvement, but at this point I am starting to have some serious concerns with throwing good money after bad. The motor bearings are likely shot given the noise levels, and I have not opened the pump yet to look at the impaler/diffuser. It's starting to smell like a money pit...

From what I can gather useful life on pumps is 5-7 years, and this one is now 12 years old, sitting outside in the elements without a lick of maintenance having been done by previous owner (confirmed). Energy efficiency is terrible as well, and even though my electricity costs are very reasonable it is still a factor. I am correct in thinking that replacing with a new 2speed or VS would be a good decision given all these factors?

Pool Store has a $99 installation special going at the moment, and I would likely take advantage of it. I have a 220 connection, 2" piping going in and out, and a 20' run from pool to equipment. 1 skimmer, dual main drains, 3 returns, 1 dedicated port for Polaris with booster pump. SWG is a possibility in the future. I do not plan on adding any extras that could increase head such as spa, heater, passive solar etc.

Current pumps available from Pool Store which qualify for the installation special:

Hayward Ecostar, MaxFlo, TriStar and Super Pump, all VS
Pentair Whisperflow 2SP in 1, 1.5 and 2HP, Intelliflow VS 011017 and 011018

Could I please ask for a pump recommendation?

Many thanks in advance!

AK,

Might want to think about buying the pump on-line and installing it yourself. As an example: The Pentair VS 011018 is less than $900 on-line, but $1,300 at the big "L". I would also suggest using 2" MIP unions, for the input and output connections (about $15 each on-line), which I doubt very much your $99 installation would include. I suspect similar savings on all the pumps you listed.

Jim R.

Considering circulation only, you really dont NEED a VS pump. I doubt you would realize any savings over the 2 speed pump.

However considering other factors, such as the ability to program the pump for on and off times, multiple times a day at various RPMS is a very nice feature. Its sorta like having auto pool control without the extra $ for a control system. And its cool to change the water currents for ambience by adjusting the RPMs.

I have a 011018 and I love it. If it broke tomorrow I would get another one.

I have a 3hpVS Pentair pump. Love it. I would also gladly buy another if it broke tomorrow. It drives solar panels, filter and a waterfall. Totally awesome to be able to dial in any water flow you want. More waterfall, more skimming, whatever you want.

The Intelliflo is awesome and I prefer it over the EcoStar but be aware that Pentair has recently changed their warranty. Warranty is now 60 days unless installed by a licensed contractor. If installed by a licensed pool contractor warranty is 3 years parts and labor.

Jason

Thank you all for the advice and recommendations. The warranty caveat seems a pretty significant factor. It looks like the Intelliflow has some loyal following, which is very telling to in a forum such as this.

Many thanks again.

AK

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.