Fact checking the builder!!!

TCB

Feb 17, 2015
Aledo/Texas
Had a builder out to the house yesterday and have a couple questions and statements I would like you to review….
- On the plaster he states that he can add black sand to the plaster for a darker look and the sand is UV resistant so the color we will get will hold up longer. Is this the case and do people use black sand? I tried to search this topic up but had no joy.
- He hates the idea of using salt system and if I install one will make me sign a waiver and not warranty the decking and structure of the pool. (using chlorine system the deck will have a 2 year and the structure will have a lifetime but it is not transferable) He talked about nightmares of plaster getting penetrated eventually and equipment, patio furniture and 3 pole farm fence rusting away? Is that a little dramatic?
- He only uses Hayward equipment. Is this a problem?

Thanks for the time in advance,
TC

Black sand will make the plaster darker. I found some pictures here. There is some variation depending on the exact sand used.

He is greatly exaggerating the issues with the SWG. Plaster will not be "penetrated". There is some small risk to patio furniture and other steel/iron work within a few feet of the water. However problems of that kind are rare. The main risk is to natural stone coping, especially the softer stones commonly used in the Texas region.

Hayward is fine.

Our PB used Diamond Brite Onyx (black) to color our Marcite. It is a quartz product. Definitely mottled though.

Agree with the exaggeration on the SWG. They are a great way to chlorinate a pool.

If you use flagstone, limestone, or any other soft natural material on teh coping and deck, you will to seal it. Sealing the stone will protect it from the salt which will cause it to degrade. It will be a every 2 year task.

Concrete decks and other "hard natural stone" are not effected by the salt at all.

Pool furniture
best to go with aluminum or the polymer type furniture to avoid corrosion, such as will happen with steel furniture, salt or not.

I will post on this thread also.

Yeah that is a LOT of drama.*

We have a natural rock waterfall, Oklahoma flagstone, steel patio furniture AND saltwater! Gasp! 3 years in and everything is completely fine here. 1 of 8 steel chaises is rusting, probably not the SWCG. A few pieces of flagstone are pitting, a few pieces are flaking off like slate and most of them look exactly the same as they did when installed. Concrete decking looks the same as the day it was installed except for the rust stain under 1 chaise. And, because I am a little slow sometimes i put WAY too much salt in my pool 2 years ago because I had algae and didn't know that SWCG don't make chlorine when the water is cold and give low salt error. My pool went from not tasting salty to tasting fairly salty and I haven't had to add salt in 2 years. So, my pool is "extra" salty.*

I fall into the minority of people here who do not say salt OR flagstone. I say both is fine. If my flagstone ever starts to disintegrate I will come back let everyone say I told you so.

TCB,
Both Nautilus and Tiger Shark are excellent lines of robots. Lots of folks here are very happy with them. These two are the ones we have the most experience with and can recommend you looking at. There may be others as well which I am not aware of.

Robots in the lower end of the price scale are pretty much basic, they do excellent job of cleaning the bottoms, sides and the waterlines.
Other more advanced features include programming schedules, remote controls.. and the list goes on. THe more options, the higher the price.

We have a Foum here called "Cleaners" and you can read about others experiences there, as well as google the manufacturers websites to determine exactly the features of the different models. Here is a link for you
http://www.troublefreepool.com/forums/50-Pool-Cleaners

Yes there are multiple threads. Probably should all be together for consistency.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.