Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I'm Finally "Normal"

1. Back To Top    #1

I'm Finally "Normal"

Well, if my wife heard me say that she would dispute the fact....

But, I digress from the subject at hand. When I took my pool over from the previous owner in October 2013 I had CYA 200+. Obviously the only way I figured it out was to do a dilution CYA test. It was funny because the pool stores I went to at first said my CYA was fine. My lot is the lowest one in the neighborhood and I know I have higher than normal underground water pressure. An example is that after heavy rains water pushes up through the expansion joints in my concrete driveway. So, no drain and refill for me. I was afraid of damage to the pool from a drain.

Now, about 16 months later my CYA measured between 50 & 60 this morning. Heavy rains and snow for the past couple of weeks has caused me to have to pump a lot of water out of the pool. This morning it was above the top of the skimmers and I had drained it yesterday.

So, finally normal CYA!!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I'm Finally "Normal"

Welcome to......."Normalcy"!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Good for you Tim. Enjoy what normalcy you can get away with. I can't say that at my house either.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

I know that feeling Tim

After 3 partial drains/refills my CYA went from 300+ to 80....getting there.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

Now you'll have to watch so it doesn't get too low, especially with Spring rains right around the corner.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I know the feeling. I couldn't drain because we were under water restrictions. It's great when you have room to use pucks in a floater without fear of raising CYA too high. Fill the thing up when you go away for a few days, and then coast another week or two until they all dissolve.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    I know the feeling. I couldn't drain because we were under water restrictions. It's great when you have room to use pucks in a floater without fear of raising CYA too high. Fill the thing up when you go away for a few days, and then coast another week or two until they all dissolve.
    While I still have the floater and may use it, with my current CYA and anticipated chlorine demand my Stenner should run for five or six weeks before I need to feed it......
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon