Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Building a deck around an 18' AGP.

1. Back To Top    #1

Building a deck around an 18' AGP.

Most pics I see show the deck boards going UNDER the pool rail. I'm concerned about whether or not the rail on top of my pool wall could handle people sitting on the edge, or using it pick themselves out of the water on to the deck, since the deck wouldn't take any weight off of the rail. We'll have a ladder, but I'm sure the the rail will have people's weight on it. I don't see any mention of weight limits or restrictions...but common sense says the resin rail atop a skinny wall shouldn't be supporting people.

My knee jerk response to this concern would be to put the deck OVER the rail. I know this is frowned upon because it restricts access to the pool wall if you need to replace the liner.

Also, I'm debating between cedar and composite. Have you all had luck with cedar (not rotting)?

So...what have you all done? Some pics? Any advice or suggestions welcome.
    9,500 Gal, 18' x 54", Eco-Kleer 200 FT Cartridge Filter w 1.5 HP Pump, Permasalt System (Everyone knocks it, but we've had a great experience with it our first year!)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Building a deck around an 18' AGP.

Hi,
    welcome to TFP!

there are a lot of folks here with decks around their AGP's, I'm sure many of them will be around to comment.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

I hope so. I found a bunch of old posts, but all of the pics and referenced youtube videos have been deleted.
    9,500 Gal, 18' x 54", Eco-Kleer 200 FT Cartridge Filter w 1.5 HP Pump, Permasalt System (Everyone knocks it, but we've had a great experience with it our first year!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Those resin top rails still only have a thin wall of steel under them. They WILL crumple! I'm still amazed I had a guy couple summers ago every bit of 250 lbs. plus slither over and fall OUT of my above ground pool! I certainly would not place decking directly on top of the rails.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

My husband spent quite a bit of time and effort getting the cuts just right so the decking went right under the pool caps/rails. It looks wonderful!

We do not have a big bather load. It is mostly just the two of us. When there is a visitor I just ask them to get out of the pool using the ladder. It has not been a problem.

I have done the up and out using the top/side/deck when I thought the pump sounded funny. There was no problem doing so BUT it is NOT something I would do or allow on a regular bases just because I do NOT know what would happen in the long run.

We just used pressure treated wood. That is what was there when we bought the house and it has lasted for a LONG time.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

You can also go even, flush with the top rail. That's the route I'll do when it's time. I'll leave enough of a gap to get the winter between the deck and the top rail.
    Other projects have put this on the back burner, but that's my plan.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

There are both under and above the top rail decks used on pools. If you go with an over the top rail design, I'd cantilever it over the rail with some small clearance to allow access for the liner and/or winter cover.

As a side note our pool has resin top rails and they're rated for 250lb load. So there are pools out there that put a load rating on the top rails.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Mine has a resin top rail, too. But I didn't get a manual, nor does the store (Family Leisure) have any information about the weight the rail can withstand. They just say that common sense says to avoid putting "too much" weight on it. It's an 18' Diamond Star / Wil-bar pool with SS panel walls and a resin rail.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

I went over the top of the rail. I saw what happened to my friends top rail and did not want mine mangled like his was. I have a slight gap between the top of the pool and the framing to allow for the winter cover to slide under. I also designed my deck to be movable in case I need to pull the top rails. My deck is actually two separate pie shaped pieces that, once I pull a couple bolts can be slid back on the framing separately. I built the deck sections in the garage and moved them into position.

Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

10. Back To Top    #10

I went under the resin rail n really like it. It's mainly my husband and I using the pool, along with our nearly 2 year old granddaughter. I've walked across the rails but I don't weigh 250lbs.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

I am following this!! danpik I LOVE your little deck and want something similar. How much was your deck? If you don't mind me asking. I have an Intex and want something small and movable. Thanks!!!!
    22'x52" intex pool, sand filter and salt water pump. An in ground is my dream!! 🏊 🌴Sarah (snakegrl)!