Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aerator vs. Bubbler

1. Back To Top    #1

Aerator vs. Bubbler

Hello,
    First, I would like to thank everyone who supplies information to these boards. I have learned a ton of information here and it helped me to finally select my pool builder and sign a contract for a new pool. Many thanks!

I did try to research my recent issue on the boards, but I could not quite find and answer. The pool builder I chose is trying to talk me out of putting two aerators in the pool and talk me into putting a bubbler on the baha deck of the pool instead. So my questions are as follows:
    1. What is the PB's rationale for preferring a bubbler over an aerator?
    2. The reason I wanted the aerators was to cool the pool down in the summer months (another pool builder told me to definitely put 2 aerators in the pool to cool it in the summer). Will an aerator work to cool the pool?
    3. Are there any downsides to having an aerator?
    4. What are the benefits to having a bubbler (other than aesthetics)? Honestly, I do not see myself using a bubbler during the day. I can only see it being used at night to be lit up as a focal point water feature. I am unsure if I would even use a bubbler that much.

Thanks for your help......

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aerator vs. Bubbler

Any water feature can be considered an aerator whether it be a waterfall, waterslide, bubblers, deck jets. Basically anything that causes small bubbles and breaks the surface of the water is aerating. Without asking PB to do anything special you could just buy an attachment like one of these and attach it to a return jet:

http://www.amazon.com/Splash---Round...ds=pool+cooler

http://www.poolmister.com/
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

An aerator that sprays will cool but you won't get much from what I am imagining from a "bubbler".

However, a bubbler would be good to provide circulation on a tanning shelf or the like. Glad you are enjoying the forum, and good luck with your build.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

If pool cooling is what you want..........Aerator all the way. (But you can always screw a 20 dollar one into a return jet when you need it).
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the responses. So in terms of providing circulation on the baha deck, is that something that is a benefit and is needed? Should I put in a bubbler for that purpose?

6. Back To Top    #6

I would for sure if it were mine. I'd want a bubbler there to keep things moving around with fresh water. Make sure it gets a dedicated Jandy valve on the equipment pad so you can control it.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

If you are planning on having in-floor cleaning system, you'll automatically have mega-circulation on tanning shelves, steps, and the like. If that is the case, then definitely go for the aerators.
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir