Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Concrete Pavers Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Concrete Pavers Question

Hey...

Question for anyone experienced with concrete pavers.
    I did my entire yard over about 7 years ago with a Cambridge Paver patio and pool surround.
    I did not seal it.

Sun damage and general wear have really dullened the look of the pavers. They are toffee onyx color.
    Is there a way to get some of that original look back, short of replacing them?

Looking online, I see some people suggest sealing them with a wet look sealer. But not sure what they looks like. If I blast them with a hose, they just look dark and colorless. Thats why I never did it before.
    As they are drying from all that water, they do look fantastic. I would say right before they are completely dry... Maybe there is a sealer that gives them that look?

My other thought as a DIY project was to maybe just replace 100 at a time per season.
    Pick them up with screw drivers in random places and replace. Repeat again next year. That will keep costs down, and hopefully not make it too obvious....

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot.
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Concrete Pavers Question

Before you go replacing them, I would recommend using some TSP as a cleaner, and a really good power washer, 3000 psi or higher.
    Cleaning and Powerwashing will do wonders on concrete.

There are several youtube videos you can google to give you an idea of how well it might work.

Do a small section and see if the results are acceptable to you. If so, clean the whole deck, let it dry and then seal it.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I think I will try that. What does TSP stand for?

Maybe I will find a company that power washes patios. Seems like an enormous undertaking
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

TSP is Trisodium Phosphate.
    Available at Home Dept, Lowes, Hardware stores.

Works pretty good a getting into the concrete and working on the grime and discoloration.

I'm sure there are plenty of power washing pros around that can fix you up.
    You will probably be amazed at how good it looks when they're done.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

Awesome. thanks a lot!!! appreciate the help.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    TSP is Trisodium Phosphate.
    Available at Home Dept, Lowes, Hardware stores.

Works pretty good a getting into the concrete and working on the grime and discoloration.

I'm sure there are plenty of power washing pros around that can fix you up.
    You will probably be amazed at how good it looks when they're done.
    So I finally got around to doing my entire patio with a TSP / bleach / water mix.
    Scrubbed them down with the solution, let it sit a bit, and washed them with a regular hose.

I am absolutely shocked at how good they look. If they don't look new, maybe they look a year old
    You were 100% right. Thanks so much for the advice. I could not be happier!!!! You rock!!!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I will be having Belgard pavers installed this summer for pool decking. This is good information for me to know in a few years.

I've read about enhancers, but think that's usually mentioned with natural stone. Would an enhancer work on concrete pavers, also? Should I seal the pavers as soon as possible? Or is it just a matter of power washing them when needed like Mitch08?

Thanks so much! Take care. Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir