New filter not pumping water through the filter

Sep 15, 2013
Guys,

I just bought a new Hayward EC75a. The filter is pumping water into the filter but the return never goes back into the pool. My PSI is around 30 so I am stumped on what the issue is.
From my limited knowledge I am guessing I have an air leak on the return side of the filter ?

There are two basic possibilities, either the flow is blocked somewhere, or the water is going to the wrong place (perhaps out the backwash pipe). In either case, the main valve is the first thing to check. It is also worth double checking every valve in the system to see if anything is accidentally set to block water flow.

I will double check tonight. Def not out the backwash pipe and I never turned any other valve. I can see water going into the filter. Surely if I had a blockage in the return my pressure would go passed 30 PSI ?

A complete blockage of the plumbing will normally result in a filter pressure in the 40s. However, the gauge may not be all that accurate or the blockage might not be quite complete.

Another possibility is that the water is returning to the pool, but not in the place you expect it to appear. If you have several returns, one of them might be working while the others are turned off or blocked. If the pool was winterized and you just opened it for the spring some/all of the returns could still have winterizing plugs. Or if you have an in-floor cleaning system, all of the water could be going there.

It would help us narrow down the possibilities if you posted a summary of your pool equipment in your signature and your location in your profile.

The EC75a is a DE filter. With a pressure reading 30psi, my first thought is clogged filter. Water may be returning to the pool, but at low pressure, so you hardly notice it, even if you put your hand over the return jets.

Have you tried backwashing the filter? If not, try that. You might have a whole bunch of gunk built up inside the filter causing it to clog up. It might be time to take it apart and clean it, but start with backwashing.

Lots of great advice. Did the water not flow to the pool from the beginning or did it get that way over some time. Is your pool dirty, algae? Send a picture of your equipment so we can look. May be a plumbing problem. If needed send me a private message and Hayward will call.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.