CYA Test - Do other chemicals need to be balanced

Feb 24, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Will unbalanced water affect the CYA test?

I am doing some partial drains to try to lower my CYA levels. It looks like my CYA level is coming down, but need to do a test during the day tomorro. I'm really not sure what the other numbers are for the water as I don't really want to try to do add anything if I am still going to be draining/adding water until I get the CYA levels in range. Will this affect the CYA test and/or shoud I be worried about the other levels while I do this process. (10,000 gallon fiberglass pull)

Thanks!

Hi,
Welcome to TFP.

No other chemicals or unbalanced water effect the CYA test. No need to adjust anything until you have replaced the water you are draining out.

Since you dont know a lot yet about all the chemicals, I would recommend to clink the Pool School button and some reading up on what each one is and why it's there. Start with the ABC's of pool chemistry.

In the meantime, here is a link to recommended levels.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/134-recommended-levels

If you dont have your own reliable test kit (dont trust teh pool stores, they are notoriously wrong), then we recommend either of the test kits available at this link.
www.tftestkits.net
Most of us use the TF100 because its the best bang for the buck.

Enjoy the forum and let us know if we can be of any help!

Welcome to the forum DCM,

Don't worry about other balances affecting the cya test. Even though it may seem wasteful, I would want good FC Levels if this is going to take much time. It might prevent you from having to do a SLAM when you are done, but if the pool is already green, it's a moot point.

Thanks for the help.

I had to do several partial drain/fill cycles (at least 5) but got the CYA down to about 70. I am currently SLAMming the pool and think that I might have that finished (hoping to pass OCLT in the morning). I realize now how naive I have been about pool maintenance but I am on the right track, thanks to this website and forum. (I feel like I am going through a pool owner 12 step program but on the road to recovery).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.