Help - Green pool but not sure why?

Hi all,

Yesterday my wife noticed that our pool seemed like it is going a tinge of green in the corners.....today it "seems" greener (These things can be deceiving)

I have just run all the tests with my TF100 and get the following results:

FC- 3.0
TC- 3.0
PH- 7.2
CH- 50
TA- 30
CYA-20
Salt- 2800
Water Temp- 78

The above LOOKS ok to me....but I am pretty new to this all. CYA and salt a bit low due to some re filling is all?

Help!!

Hi Cuzziebro

I would recommend you to a test for Combined Chlorine using your TF 100 test kit.

If you have more than .5 CC, I would recommend to, SLAM the pool.
Here is a link on how to SLAM,
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/119-how-to

FC to CYA chart
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

During Slamming, maintain the FC at shock level during the process. Its not a 1 time thing, its a process. If you have just a hint of algae, you should be able to knock it out fairly quick.

After you have knocked it out and passed the SLAM test, then raise your CYA and FC to the recommended levels for a pool using a SWG.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/134-recommended-levels

Keep us informed on how it goes.

Cuzziebro, have you tried sweeping the green stuff with a broom?
Does it sweep off?

I would expect that if it were algae, you would see some CC.

If whatever is there will sweep off, I would certainly think it is algae and slam it anyway.

Another thing you could do is raise the FC to shock level using liquid chlorine, then to the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test as described in the link I sent.

Hey Dave......CC is 0.0

Does this mean it may not be algae?

Its not actually stuck to the pool at all....i.e. if I swim down and touch it with my hand it just dusts up off the bottom.....hence wondering if its just dirt etc? Have had a couple of issues with my new filter putting debris back through the jets after a backwash :(

Cuzziebro, have you tried sweeping the green stuff with a broom?
Does it sweep off?

I would expect that if it were algae, you would see some CC.

If whatever is there will sweep off, I would certainly think it is algae and slam it anyway.

Another thing you could do is raise the FC to shock level using liquid chlorine, then to the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test as described in the link I sent.

It certainly sounds like Algae, and as Jason said you can't rely on CC alone to tell you that. You can have one without the other, especially when there isn't much algae or other bio growth.

One thing is certain, algae only appears in a pool, or an area of a pool where there is, or has been less than adequate levels of FC. Seeing it in corners points to circulation, but I imagine there have been times when FC was lacking altogether. Brush these areas more often, and make sure the FC NEVER drops for any length of time and the problem will go away.

If it were mine, I would complete a SLAM procedure to make sure it was all killed. Brush those corners often and vigorously during the procedure.

Hi guys.....OCLT complete and zero FC loss. 3.5 FC at the start and the end. I am guessing therefore it is just muck.

So moving on to what I think the issue may therefore be.

I am going to get my filter checked. Even though the filter is just 3 months old I don't think its doing its job. When I backwash and rinse the glass runs clear the whole time, however when I then turn back to filter I get a milky solution filtering through the pool. I added some DE powder to it a few weeks back and am hoping I havn't mucked all the sand up :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think if it were me, i would brush, brush, brush some more, then vac all that up. Then bring it to shock levels for a few days. What could it hurt???? Better to kill it all off now than to not do anything and have an outbreak later. But i'm no means an expert on this stuff yet....lol

And as others said....I'd raise my CYA up a bit too. 30-35 or so.

I think if it were me, i would brush, brush, brush some more, then vac all that up. Then bring it to shock levels for a few days. What could it hurt???? Better to kill it all off now than to not do anything and have an outbreak later. But i'm no means an expert on this stuff yet....lol

And as others said....I'd raise my CYA up a bit too. 30-35 or so.

When he gets this problem figured out and corrected, then his CYA level should be 70-80 for a SWG pool.

Pools need brushed. It's one thing most pool owners don't do enough.

Hi all.....well I have had a bit of a journey the past few days.

After have zero FC after my last OCLT test I became convinced it was my Filter not doing its job. So I called the pool builder (The pool is only 2 months old) and he got the Astral rep around to look at the filter.
As soon as he looked at it, he noticed the filter had been plumbed in backwards :( Meaning the filter had been doing nothing the whole time, and also explaining why after a backwash my pool filled up with crud again.

So he re piped it correctly and gave me some floc to get rid of the particles in the water.

All this time my pool is getting greener and greener, seemingly algae. So I ran the OCLT again last night (Pool is now really green) and again I have had almost zero FC loss? FC 4.0 last night and this morning its 3.5 CC 0.0.

The only reason I havn't slammed is we are right in swimming season so havn't wanted to take the pool out of action. But it is now so green I need to fix it.

So question, even with my above OCLT tests, still SLAM?

Yep SLAM the pool. The little loss of FC over night is a bit odd as compared to the way you describe the water. The next time you do an OCLT do it at shock level for your CYA level. Is your green color a clear transparent green color or a dark green ?
Good job on getting the filter squared away.
Could you post a picture of your water ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.