New Pool Owner-Bought a short sale house and now I'm stuck!

Hey everyone,

Bought a house that was empty for 18 months and have gotten the pool back to "ok." I'd love to get the finish sparkling again, but I'm unsure if that's possible! I have a TF kit, and can post actual numbers on Sunday (out of town now) if you want them.

Attached are pics of stains-waterline, odd "veiny" stains on the side walls, and 4-6 oval shaped stains on the bottom. No amount of brushing seems to change the stain.

Pool has marcite finish I think, around 10 years old-if I rub the side wall gently, little pebbles come off.

I'd love advice on how to get rid of the stains, or should I Drain and Acid wash, or start saving for a new finish?

Thanks for the help!Optimized-IMG_5183.jpgOptimized-IMG_5187.jpgOptimized-IMG_5185.jpg

Welcome to TFP!

Try placing a vitamin C tablet on one of the stained areas and see if it removes the stain right where it is placed. If so, they are most likely iron stains and should be treatable. If not we can give you something else to try.

Your best approach will be to get your water set up correctly and then make sure you can maintain it for a couple of weeks, THEN address the stains.

Right now, you are in REAL need of some chlorine in your pool.

If Vitamin C had no affect, you might just find keeping your water with adequate chlorine will start to reduce the stains.

Have you read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School?

Thanks Dave-I agree. Been in the middle of renovating this house, plus traveling for work, so haven't kept it up like I wanted. I have time the next month to focus on the pool, so wanted to tackle it!

I have read the ABC's, and am bringing the levels where they need to be now. I'll wait a couple weeks and then post an update. I appreciate the help!

Once your chlorine levels are up and staying up, try to take a bit better picture of the stains. We'll all help get rid of them with you.

I forgot to ask, How does your water look?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.