Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spring is almost here, time for Stenner

1. Back To Top    #1

Spring is almost here, time for Stenner

Spring is almost here (although not this week in North Texas), and it is time for a Stenner installation on a newly constructed IG pool. When we built our pool, we made sure we upgraded the Jandy logic board to ensure we had additional aux inputs. I plan on using an aux input to control the stenner pump. There are a couple of questions that I would like to ask before I take the plunge on the install.

1. I don't understand the difference between the 0-25 psi and 26-100 psi models. They both seem to offer the same flow rates. Which one would I need?
    2. If I understand correctly, since I can program a schedule for the pump to run, a simple single head fixed rate pump is what I need.
    3. If I plan on using the logic board, would I need to cut off the end of the electrical cable and hardwire the pump? I think this is frowned upon, as it can't be removed as easily during the winter.
    4. Does the voltage matter? I have both 120 and 220 available at the pad.
    5. On our chlorine tab feeder (which has never been used), there appears to be a port on the underside that I could tap into to supply the chlorine to the pool. When I start to unscrewing it, water starts coming out, so I think I can just screw in the end of stenner tube directly to this port.

Any advice or comments are welcome.

Thanks
    39' x 18' IG 3.5X4.5X9 34k gallon w/ raised spa, 3 stone scupers
    Jandy 60 SqFt DE, Jandy PDA PS6, Jandy JXi400 heater, Jandy 2.0 EPump w/SVRS
    A&A Manufacturing ICS w/G4 venturi heads
    2 incandescent lights in pool, 1 in spa.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spring is almost here, time for Stenner

1) The differences are minimal and either will work in most installs. I believe that the high pressure model comes with a check valve.
    2) Yep.
    3) You can wire the output of the timer to an outlet box and plug the Stenner into that.
    4) Get the voltage that is easiest to supply. 120 is good if you plan to use an outlet as in #3.
    5) That isn't a good idea. You don't want any risk of mixing concentrated chlorine of two different types. An injection port after the filter & heater is simple to add and usually the best solution, but if adding an injection port really bothers you can use one of the drain plugs on the pump as an injection point.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

To expand on what Jason said.
    1. The high pressure models come with a check valve. The big difference in the high and low pressure model is that the #4 or#5 tubes which are the 35 & 50 GPD tubes in the 45 series can't be used for high pressures. You can use them in the same head they just won't stand high pressures. In pool applications it really doesn't matter which pressure model you get, but I recommend the high pressure model because of the check valve. That way if the tubing breaks you don't have a stream of water spewing out of the insertion fitting.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys, all I need to do now is just figure out how to wire it up and choose which voltage to get.

5. Back To Top    #5

Good advice so far. I would get teh 120v model and use your logic board to trip a relay to turn the power to an outlet dedicated to the Stenner. This keeps you from cutting off the end of the plug wire.

Jason is correct, just cut a threaded "T" into the plumbing after all equipment for your injection point.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

I have almost completed the Stenner pump installation today. I added an external outlet that feeds from my gfci line in the equipment panel. One plug is always hot, while the other is driven from an aux relay, which I can control/program to run when ever. I am stumped on how to drill and thread into my existing PVC for the injection point. Can anybody assist me on how to do this? Right now I just used the drain plug on the pump. I have not turned it on yet, as I'm not sure if the drain plug is a viable option.

7. Back To Top    #7

I ordered a 15 gallon chlorine holder tank last year---just haven't pulled the trigger on a pump yet. Watching your install though. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that using a drain plug on the pump would let that direct chlorine injection eat up the seals and also isn't good for the spider gasket on a sand filter?

The instructions don't tell you what size hole to drill and what size tap to use for PVC? Taps just cut threads in the hole you'll drill so you can screw in a fitting.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

Using the drain plug is fine, if you want.

To create an injection point you normally buy a small fitting designed to clamp onto the pipe. It will come with instructions saying what size hole to drill. There is also a version that screws in, and again it will come with instructions.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    I ordered a 15 gallon chlorine holder tank last year---just haven't pulled the trigger on a pump yet. Watching your install though. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that using a drain plug on the pump would let that direct chlorine injection eat up the seals and also isn't good for the spider gasket on a sand filter?

The instructions don't tell you what size hole to drill and what size tap to use for PVC? Taps just cut threads in the hole you'll drill so you can screw in a fitting.
    The instructions say 1/4" or 1/2" FNPT. I was also worried about the equipment, which is why I didn't start the pump yet. Ideally, I would like to take out the inline chlorine tab dispenser and replace it with just a straight PVC with the injection point tapped there. But I am not sure the union's that came on the dispenser are standard size/threads, or some proprietary fitting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Using the drain plug is fine, if you want.

To create an injection point you normally buy a small fitting designed to clamp onto the pipe. It will come with instructions saying what size hole to drill. There is also a version that screws in, and again it will come with instructions.
    You don't happen to have a link to something so I can see what you are talking about?

10. Back To Top    #10

If it were me, I would not plumb it straight to the pump, but that's my background. It may not be critical in the short term, but it sure can't be good for the pump, and certainly not the heater.

The very best set up would be an injection quill into a tee down stream of everything if the pump can buck the pressure. If not possible, then the next best option is what you have to take.

I'm not knocking you pigiron, but since Woody asked, I'm injecting my Opinion.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    I ordered a 15 gallon chlorine holder tank last year---just haven't pulled the trigger on a pump yet.
    Hold up! Who you callin lazy???

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...outdoor-shower
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

I drilled mine into the side of the return pipe. It takes a 7/16" drill and a 1/4" npt tap.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

13. Back To Top    #13

I used the drain plug on the pump,basket for several months until I sorted things out without issue. You are really not injecting that much bleach at one time so I doubt if equipment damage is an issue.

If you have any flex in the return line you can just cut out a section and add a PVC "T" that has the branch threaded. If you don't have enough flex to install the T you can do it with unions like I had to.

You can look at my install thread for photos of both my using the drain plug and adding a T to the return line.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    If you don't have enough flex to install the T you can do it with unions like I had to.
    Well, I gave it a shot. I didn't have any flex available, so I gave a union a try.

Unfortunately, I made the fitting a bit too short and it wouldn't pull tight. I had a very small drip leak afterword. So I'll try and build a new fitting just a bit longer in the morning.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Point well taken!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

16. Back To Top    #16

It's hard to tell, but is that union missing the o-ring? That small a gap should pull up and seal without issue as long as the o-ring is in the groove.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
    It's hard to tell, but is that union missing the o-ring? That small a gap should pull up and seal without issue as long as the o-ring is in the groove.
    I wish that were the case. What the picture does not show is that there is a 2nd return line run in parallel right next to this one. Both are connected together with a fitting just above the union, so there was virtually zero wiggle room. I built another tee fitting just slightly longer and installed it this morning. I think I strained my elbow installing it, cause it was just a tad too long! I got it in there, I think the o-rings are seated, as there appears to be no more leaks.

18. Back To Top    #18

A little to long or a little to short. When I cut anything, that is the story of my life!
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).