Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: zeo sand vs silica sand

1. Back To Top    #1

zeo sand vs silica sand

replacing my haywood s200 sand filter with the haywood pro 22 inch (250 LBS) Filter. replacing the pump and 3/4 motor also. dealer is pushing zeo sand saying it filters better and have to use 125 lbs compared to 250 lbs of silica, any thoughts on if that a good move or not, thanks
    19500 gal, IG, haywood s-200 sand filter & pump, 3/4 horse single speed motor, vinyl liner, tf 100 test kit, installed early 80's, Terre haute,In

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: zeo sand vs silica sand

I find it very difficult to believe you can get equal performance from half the volume.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

There may be something to that. I switched to celleous fiber for my DE filter and I use a lot less of it compared the 6 lbs of regular DE.
    Let's see if some others know for sure.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

We do not recommend zeo instead of regular sand. It gets way too many complaints to quality for our trouble free criteria. It can work very well, but too many people end up having significant problems. Also, even if it always worked, it doesn't do anything that would justify the extra expense compared to regular filter sand.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Zeo is roughly half the density so they use that as "you only use 100 lbs instead of 200 lbs"........it's an invalid argument but Zeo uses it a lot.

As JasonLion said, we get far too many bad reports to suggest it as a better solution than sand.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Good answers. I missed all the complaints about the stuff.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

found out what I need to know , thanks regular sand it is
    19500 gal, IG, haywood s-200 sand filter & pump, 3/4 horse single speed motor, vinyl liner, tf 100 test kit, installed early 80's, Terre haute,In

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Brushpup View Post
    I find it very difficult to believe you can get equal performance from half the volume.
    First of all I work for ZEO the manufacturer of ZeoSand- which is a zeolite replacement for sand. ZeoSand can replace sand by weight at 50% in filters calling for less than 500 lbs of sand. It replaces at 60% in filters 500 lbs and more. This is achieved by the difference in bulk density of zeolite to sand. You will have the same volume of filter media in the filter tank.

We have been selling our zeolite for filtration for over 20 years. In the past there were other zeolites available for use in filtration and issues arose some due to installation errors and some due to the zeolite itself. Zeolite is a mined mineral and each mine has its own set of characteristics. ZeoSand has no clay compared to other zeolites that at times can be heavily laden with clay. This clay can cause extended backwashing times and a breakdown of the filter bed in extreme cases.

When installed correctly ZeoSand will provide a 2-5 micron filtration (DE quality) compared to sand 30-50 micron. It lasts the same as sand and has no reaction to any pool chemicals. Through research we have discovered that to filter correctly zeolites prefer a calcium level over 225. ZeoSand is NSF/ANSI 50 and 61 (for drinking water filtration). It is a eco-friendly/green product. We sell the same zeolite used in ZeoSand as a soil amendment (primarily golf courses) and many other applications.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns you may have concerning the use of ZeoSand.

Link removed as per forum rules. (Moderator Brushpup)

9. Back To Top    #9

tbh,

I appreciate that you feel proud of your product and when it is working it does a good job. You should probably try contacting each of the people who have reported problems with it on this forum to see if you can figure out the root cause and address it (if you have not done so already). There are 43 Google pages of posts at TFP referring to ZeoSand so it is certainly popular and frequently discussed (with nearly 75,000 members and nearly half a million unique visitors per month to TFP during peak summer we get a reasonable base of reports for the more popular products).

The most common complaints about the ZeoSand are summed up in a couple of representative posts such as Cloudy water and sediment with Zeosand, this post about it working great when it works and not so much when it doesn't, this post, another Cloudy water and sediment with Zeosand, a service tech's impressions with Zeosand and regular sand in this post and another in this post, A bit cloudy - Thinking I should slam, and many other posts and threads (you should go through the hundreds of posts to find the problem ones -- I don't have time to do that).

The vast majority of posts/threads don't refer to any problems and some service techs think it's great so I don't want to leave the wrong impression. We don't recommend against Zeosand (i.e. we don't say to never use it), we just don't recommend it over regular sand.

As has been noted in some of the threads, there are different qualities of zeolite so some manufacturer's brand might be better than another (see this post and the subsequent one).

Finally, I wrote to "clino" and Pete Bunger in 2009 about chloramine reduction claims being misleading given the chemistry since zeolite does adsorb ammonia, but not monochloramine and as described in this thread the monochloramine will get oxidized by chlorine much faster than any removal of monochloramine via equilibrium with a tiny amount of ammonia that gets adsorbed in the filter. As noted on your current ZeoSand webpage, you no longer refer to reduction of chloramines (so thank you for changing that) but you do say the filter "Traps Ammonia" which is technically true, but irrelevant so is a bit misleading in a normal pool environment (i.e. one with chlorine). It would be most applicable in a situation where the chlorine went to zero and one had a bacterial conversion of CYA to ammonia though would require a lot of recharging in that case.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"