best RPM speed for priming?

Feb 7, 2015
Palm Springs
Hi All. I have an intelliflo VS pump. I also have iAqualink pool controls. When the pump turns on, it first "primes" then it goes to whatever setting I have it on. I can set the RPMS for when it primes...right now it's set at 2350 rpms for priming. Is this good or can i set it lower?

Basically i have it set on a maintain heat setting, so every 3 hrs it turns on to test the temp of the water. So it primes at 2350 then samples the water at 1150. If it needs heat, it goes back to 2350 and either the solar heater kicks on or the gas (depending).

So id rather have the priming speed lower if possible. But im not sure if that is ok or not?

Hi biggdaddy,

If you can set the primer speed lower, and it will still prime, then its a matter of trial and error. No reason I know of personally why that wouldnt be ok.

Hi All. I have an intelliflo VS pump. I also have iAqualink pool controls. When the pump turns on, it first "primes" then it goes to whatever setting I have it on. I can set the RPMS for when it primes...right now it's set at 2350 rpms for priming. Is this good or can i set it lower?

Basically i have it set on a maintain heat setting, so every 3 hrs it turns on to test the temp of the water. So it primes at 2350 then samples the water at 1150. If it needs heat, it goes back to 2350 and either the solar heater kicks on or the gas (depending).

So id rather have the priming speed lower if possible. But im not sure if that is ok or not?

I need a fast prime to clear the air bubble in my SWG 2350rpm, 1800/1900 will prime the pump OK but if the air bubble doesn't clear in the SWG, Lo Flo kicks in and shuts everything down. No more filtering until I notice and fix it. You need what you need to guarantee prime, safer higher than lower as you don't want the pump trying to prime any longer than necessary. better it primes in 5 secs than struggles for 1 min or more.

there a several reasons why pumps prime at high speed.
One example would be the pump is considerably higher than the water level. The higher the pump, the more power the pump is going to need to pull the water uphill.

How far is the pool from the pump, how many bends and valves does it all go through.. The farther and more bends etc, mean loss of flow and if thats the case, then you need more rpms to overcome that loss so the pump will prime.

If your pump is below the water level, or you have short pipes with few bends, then it might prime just fine at lower RPMs. Like JasonLion said, it all depends on your overall plumbing design.

The intelliflo has a prime timer in it and if it doesnt prime within I think 30 seconds, it goes into fault mode and shuts down to protect itself.

If you want to adjust it, then its pretty much a matter of trial and error in finding an appropriate lower priming speed where the pump will prime in a reasonable amount of time and not go into fault mode.

It wont hurt the pump to prime at lower RPM, as long as it does prime and does it fairly quickly, like within 30 seconds or less.

I guess i am asking if there is a benefit or reason to have a high rpm speed when priming. Or will having it too low break the pump or something?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.