Drains and pipes and plumbing

sgt173

Feb 10, 2015
Parrish,FL
Since I'm new to my pool and trying to figure it all out. I have what looks like 2 drains in the bottom.
Is one for the main drain and the other for filtering? I noticed on the outside of the birdcage close to them there is a PVC pipe that comes up out of the ground and is capped off.
Also I have a waterfall marked on my pipes I just tried the other dayI just opened it a little the other day and it works, but I'm not sure what the purpose of the garden hose coming out of the top of the pipe that comes over the pump.Is that for priming or draining off some of the pool water when it gets too high?
I'll try and post a few pics of my pool:

Thanks for any Info and for all the help I have got on here since I found this Great forum
Sarge

HI Sgt,
the two drains are actually plumbed together into one pipe. It is a safety feature so someone cannot get stuck to the main drain, and is mandatory by code if you have a main drain per The Virginia Graeme Baker Act.

EDIT to clarify: Its not necessarily the code that you have 2 main drains such as your pool has, but having 2 is probably the most common way to be in compliance with it.

Thanks Dave, so can I actually drain some of my water out by them main drains or just put a siphon hose or pump in it to drain off some of the water if I needed to,not that I want to do that now.I dont think I should take much out of it here to keep the pool from popping out of the ground.Very low water tables in this area!
Can you tell me what that white hose is for on the plumbing to help prime with or get the air out of the skimmer basket before the pump.
I know I have a pressure release on top of the filter too doesn't that do the same thing?

The white hose is there so that you can drain some water by opening the spigot while the pump is running, has nothing to do with priming. You should always open up the filter air release when you open up the system to get the air out.

If you can isolate the floor drains, then you should have no problem pumping out a lot of water if you desired.

Sgt,

yeah, you can lower the water level using the main if you need to.

The spigot on top of your pump with the white water hose is for lowering the water level due to too much rain, or overfilling or whatever.

If you want water to pull from the main drain only, then rotate the valve in front of the pump all the way round to the other side. Then open the spigot and water will come out the hose.

If you put that valve in the middle, the pump will pull water from the skimmer and the main drain at the same time.

Thanks Dave, so can I actually drain some of my water out by them main drains or just put a siphon hose or pump in it to drain off some of the water if I needed to,not that I want to do that now.I dont think I should take much out of it here to keep the pool from popping out of the ground.Very low water tables in this area!
Can you tell me what that white hose is for on the plumbing to help prime with or get the air out of the skimmer basket before the pump.
I know I have a pressure release on top of the filter too doesn't that do the same thing?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.