What to do with dead pump motor

I purchased a home with a pool a few months ago. Things had been going well and everything system wise was working. A few weeks ago my pump motor started getting loud and I noticed some dripping where it connects to the housing. I knew it was probably on its way out then and started looking into replacements. Well yesterday it shut off completely and is now seized.

What I don't know are the specs on the motor. All of the labels are worn off. The motor is a marathon electric unit while the rest of the pump is hayward so it must have been replaced at some point. I cannot read the part numbers on the hayward section either as they too are worn off.

I had thought about rebuilding it but not knowing specs might make that hard to buy parts plus it's time I don't really have and I have never done it. I then thought about just replacing it again as that may be more cost effective due to its condition but again I am not sure what to get as I can't read the model number.

Attached is a picture of the setup. I know the bonding lug is broken off....that is another consideration for just replacing the motor.

Thoughts?
View attachment 34454

Shut off the power, disconnect the motor from the pump and wiring and take it to a decent pool store. They should be able to figure it out.

Thank you for the tips.

I am leaning more toward replacing the motor. If I were to do that, what other seals would I need to replace at the same time?

That looks like an old Hayward Max-Flo. The standard shaft seal is a AS1521, or go with a heavy duty saltwater seal, it is a PS3868.

Depending on the last time you serviced them I would replace the gaskets and there are "tune up kits" that include to whole she-bang (lid, diffuser, shaft seal, and seal plate gasket). I think Aladdin's is called the GOKIT1 for the Max-Flo.

This is the prefect opportunity to upgrade to a 2-speed motor. You would just need to add a simple toggle switch to select the speed running on low most of the time and high for vacuuming.

The only other think you truly need is a new shaft seal, but the go-kit is a good option if you want to go ahead and change all the other o-rings too.

I had some time so I took the motor off tonight. I found the slinger gasket was in 2 pieces so that was probably where the leak came from. The diffuser and seal plate were hayward parts. The diffuser has sp2607c stamped on the issue and the seal plate sp2600e. I have found those part numbers online but it looks like they are used on a few different pumps. Are all of the super pump go kits the same?

This is the prefect opportunity to upgrade to a 2-speed motor. You would just need to add a simple toggle switch to select the speed running on low most of the time and high for vacuuming.

The only other think you truly need is a new shaft seal, but the go-kit is a good option if you want to go ahead and change all the other o-rings too.

Where can I get more info on changing to a 2 speed motor?

You just ask what you want to know :D
Or you can find most anything by searching the forum.

You just find a comparable sized 2-speed motor and slightly modify the wiring to add a toggle switch.
On high speed they will move the same water as a single speed motor. On low speed they move 1/2 the water as on high, but only use 1/4 the amount of power.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I want to replace the motor. Either I replace it with a single speed or go 2 speed with a switch. For whichever option I choose I want to replace all gaskets and seals (go kit?) Either way I want to get it done quickly as it's starting to get warm and I have no circulation right now obviously. When I removed the motor, the only part numbers found were on the diffuser and seal plate. Both were Hayward parts but the motor itself is a marathon electric unit. The diffuser had SP2607-C on it and the seal plate had SP2600-E on it. Does that say anything as to what I should replace this motor with spec wise? Electrical connection wise it had 2 blue wires and 1 ground. The wires were connect to an L1 and L2 labeled terminal. As mentioned I cannot read the label on the motor but I think I can see 115/230.

If I decide to replace with a 2 speed motor, does it need to match the hp rating along with the voltage of what I have now? Currently, the pump is controlled by a T104 mechanical timer. What would be the best way to wire in a switch for the 2 speed? With a 2 speed pump, would I keep it on low speed for say 6-8 hours per day then switch to high speed when I need to run my vacuum? Or, does it stay on low speed 24/7?

Hi, that black and silver label just below the discharge port will tell you everything. This is a older Max Flo Hayward pump. The motor is replaceable but you might want to check pricing on a new one. The seal sounds like it failed and took the motor out. Any really good servicer or pool store can tell you the motor to purchase. Let me know the model on the label and I will help.

Hi, that black and silver label just below the discharge port will tell you everything. This is a older Max Flo Hayward pump. The motor is replaceable but you might want to check pricing on a new one. The seal sounds like it failed and took the motor out. Any really good servicer or pool store can tell you the motor to purchase. Let me know the model on the label and I will help.

Thank you but unfortunately I cannot read anything on the black and silver label. The only thing that I can make out is "SP"

A seal definitely failed as the motor was completely seized and the inside (behind seal plate) was completely corroded. The slinger came off in two pieces so I am guessing that to be the culprit.

At this point I want to replace the motor only with a 2 speed unit and wire in a switch for high speed operation. While I am at it I want to replace all seals but am unsure what to purchase as I cannot get a model number other than what I found on the diffuser and seal plate listed above.

Thank you to all. I think I have everything I need now parts wise. I ordered the gasket kit yesterday, will pick up a switch this weekend and will be visiting a local motor repair shop for a replacement motor. In going with a 2 speed motor, do I need to stick to the same hp rating of what I have now or does that matter?

I would have considered just buying a new pump with a new warranty, but whatever works
Except most manufacturers are now limiting the warranty for diy installs. Do you would have to buy a pump for higher than you can get online and post to gaff it installed. Or pay 1/3 the cost and install your own motor.

Last question. As you can see in the image I posted in my first post here, the bonding lug is broken off. I noticed that this wire also has a second screw in it that looks like it was connected to the motor as well. This goes back to the breaker panel.

So basically it looks like this right now:

breaker panel------------screw lug-----/(broken wire)/bonding lug----------into the ground

The wire that comes out of the ground I get connects to the new bonding lug on the new motor. Do I connect the wire coming out of the breaker panel to that lug as well? It looks like that is how it was before as there is extra wire after the screw lug that reaches to where the bonding lug would be. Or, are the two supposed to be separate?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.