Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Oval AGP harder to DIY install than round?

1. Back To Top    #1

Oval AGP harder to DIY install than round?

I feel like I have been spending every waking minute of my life planning this new pool setup and the only actual thing we have accomplished so far is getting trees removed.

I am still trying to nail down a size that will work. A 21' round is the max we can go and will likely look best in the space (all nicely tucked in the corner). The little voice inside me screaming "Buy the biggest pool you can fit!" would like me to purchase a 15-18 x 30-32. The responsible adult in me thinks I should stick with the smaller 21' round. Many of the threads I have looked over talk about the difficulty in putting up an oval. If it is considerably harder than a round I think that might be the tie-breaker I need. Our marriage was not meant to withstand difficult DIY projects

21' Round pros: Fits nicely in the yard, easily 1k cheaper than the ovals, more 'structurally sound' (which I get...but has there ever been a wall blowout or other known catastrophe on a properly installed oval pool?), whirlpools!, won't be sitting over root systems of trees we've just had removed

Oval pros: More gallons of pool to swim in! (that's really about it. But it's pretty compelling.)
    14k Gallon 24' x 54" Signature RTL , 1 hp 2 speed Pentair Optiflow, 350lb Pentair SD80 sand filter, 2" leaky plumbing, a Zodiac G3, and my TF-100!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Oval AGP harder to DIY install than round?

I had my oval installed, but I can't imagine any more "degree of difficulty" in setting one up vs. a round one. Walls are walls and uprights are uprights............and more importantly........level is level. You can also get 10 feet more away from other "poolsters" in one!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with woodyp.

If the Oval is more difficult, thats because there will me more physical labor involved in preparing the ground for it simply due to the larger area.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Nobody here is going to say that a smaller pool is better!

And i agree that i don't see a logistical reason for an oval pool to be more difficult. I have put up a couple of round pools. Nothing to it, very easy to put together an above ground pool. Leveling the ground? Definitely NOT easy. Of course, that depends how flat and level your yard is to start with. Mine, not so much.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

YouTube oval pool installs verses round ones.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I debated this too. An oval has to have more supports on the sides, because the water will always want to push out on those long flat sides. Whereas a round pool there is even pressure spread out equally. The pool I was looking at needed extra supports dug in the ground. It also required 8(?) cinder blocks buried at each side that the supports sit on. My ground is clay, that was hard as cement. So getting a single 2 inch paver block level took about an hour for each one.

The pool store also made a good point. If you take a round pool, and cut the sides off, that is the swim space you will lose going to an oval. So depending on the length, you could lose some swim space if you go oval. For me the final decision was made when the underground electric went across my yard and would of cost me 3k to get moved.
    ~Matt~ Radiant Metric 24'x52" 14k- built into a slope. CircuPool Si-30 SWCG. Jandy 200 SqFt cartridge filter. Pentair Optiflow 2-speed 1HP pump. Wanda the Whale. TF-100 Test Kit. Hard Plumbed.
    My Build w/ lots of pics

7. Back To Top    #7

Best discovery ever: I measured wrong and I can actually fit a 24' round I am so excited! The oval was going to cut too much into usable yard space but the 21' round was too small. I didn't feel good about either one. But I will be *supremely* happy with a 24'! My other half is slowly warming to the idea of a bigger 'real' pool. He still doesn't understand why we would need more than our 15' Intex....some people!

I have been waiting for him to go to sleep to research our next pool purchase (he totally thinks I have lost my mind. Might be true.)
    14k Gallon 24' x 54" Signature RTL , 1 hp 2 speed Pentair Optiflow, 350lb Pentair SD80 sand filter, 2" leaky plumbing, a Zodiac G3, and my TF-100!

8. Back To Top    #8

LOL!

well Im glad you got it figured out
    good luck!

Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

9. Back To Top    #9

You'll love the 24 n he will too! Check out SHARKLINE pools at poolsupplyworld. I love my Venture 54"wall.

My husband did not want a pool. It took me 3 years to plan the whole thing n make it happen. He's in it everyday!!! If I can't find him, that's the first place I go n he's on his raft soaking up the rays! If it's rainy or cloudy, he complains because it cuts into his pool time. lol He uses the pool more than I do! lol

10. Back To Top    #10

It took me 3 years to "Scheme and Plot" the whole thing n make it happen. Fixed that for ya'!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    It took me 3 years to "Scheme and Plot" the whole thing n make it happen. Fixed that for ya'!
    Shhhhhh!

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

oval is much more difficult to install.

take it from me, i have installed thousands of these pools

I would not recommend it to a homeowner

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by linzjane88 View Post
    I feel like I have been spending every waking minute of my life planning this new pool setup and the only actual thing we have accomplished so far is getting trees removed.

I am still trying to nail down a size that will work. A 21' round is the max we can go and will likely look best in the space (all nicely tucked in the corner). The little voice inside me screaming "Buy the biggest pool you can fit!" would like me to purchase a 15-18 x 30-32. The responsible adult in me thinks I should stick with the smaller 21' round. Many of the threads I have looked over talk about the difficulty in putting up an oval. If it is considerably harder than a round I think that might be the tie-breaker I need. Our marriage was not meant to withstand difficult DIY projects

21' Round pros: Fits nicely in the yard, easily 1k cheaper than the ovals, more 'structurally sound' (which I get...but has there ever been a wall blowout or other known catastrophe on a properly installed oval pool?), whirlpools!, won't be sitting over root systems of trees we've just had removed

Oval pros: More gallons of pool to swim in! (that's really about it. But it's pretty compelling.)
    I can't speak to the difficulty in installation or blown out walls, but based on your post, perhaps you need to stick with the round. I don't recall seeing a blown out wall oval, but I certainly could have missed that here. If an oval would blow out your marriage...maybe better to go round....
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem