TF-100 Chemicals

kris77

May 27, 2014
Clarksburg, WV
So I bought the TF-100 kit last year. I still have plenty of chemicals left.

I know i'll need some more DPD power and maybe some more CYA solution, but for the most part, i'm all set.

One question I have. I store this stuff in my garage. And it can dip down to around 45 degrees sometimes in there. Is it recommended to replace the chemicals each year? Or can I continue to use them until they are gone. I read a post a few months ago about this but I can't find it now. I know some have more shelf life than others.

I mainly do the FC, CC, Ph, and CYA tests. I did a full range of test twice last year and these 4 were the only ones that really changed.

Just trying to figure out what all I will need to restock this year. I know there is usually a sell on the chemicals around March sometime.

The reagents in the TF100 are warrantied for 18 months, and will usually last two or three years with a little care. The main things are to keep them from freezing and out of sunlight or extreme heat.

The FAS-DPD titrant (R-0871) is the most sensitive, has the shortest lifetime. The dyes, reagents that cause the sample to be colored are also sensitive, though not as much as the R-0871.

So 2 seasons (maybe 3) is really all they are recommended for then?

I might just need to order the XL option and replenish my powder and 871 this year.

They will be fine having been stored as you mention.

If you are testing regularly, you should need to replace many of them anyhow. Especially the items for FC. Considering the minimal cost, to the value they provide in protecting such a large investment, the replacement cost is very, very insignificant.

Adding just a bit to what the others have said, the sale (starting March 2) for chemistry replacement is a complete refill set....every consumable item in your kit is replaced. The cost is about $32.00.

Naturally, we sell more chemistry but it's also a good way to manage the freshness of your reagents if you replace them all at once.

In the past, we have talked with customers using 3-4 year old reagents and, while they may be fine, it probably isn't worth the savings to get even one bad result because of out-of-date reagents.

Of course, you certainly can order only what you need but it's a bit tougher to keep track of and, as brushpup says, the cost is almost insignificant when it comes to the overall investment of keeping crystal clear, sanitary pool water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.