Pool Equipment Fire - Replace

Jul 7, 2008
Bremen, GA
Hey all......We moved this past summer to another home with a pool. Smaller pool, but gained a spa in return. New pool is about +/-10,000 gallons. A few days ago, I was empting out the leaves in the pool and smelled something burning. Pool equipment is just out of sight of the pool. Walked the net of leaves to the woods and noticed my filter was missing. Looking closer, I discovered that my entire equipment pad (less bubbler) was smoldering! What a shock! Pump had been getting louder and was planning on replacing once it stopped. Never imagined I would find it on fire! Most THANKFUL gas meter didn't catch fire and burn down house. See pictures below.

A local builder has recommended the following replacements:
Pentair® Intelliflo VS® Pump for pool spa
Pool filter Pentair® Quad 100 DE® filter
Pentair® EasyTouch® 8 circuit pool & spa control system
Pentair® IC 40 salt water chlorine generator
Pentair® Mastertemp® 400,000 BTU gas heater
Pentair® ScreenLogic® wireless interface to allow system to be controlled by smart devices

Thoughts? Thinking the I could go with a smaller heater and an IC 20 SWG to save some money (it is a small pool after all).

Attachments

• Pool Equipment Burn 1.jpg
    Pool Equipment Burn 1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 212
  • Pool Equipment Burn 2.jpg
    Pool Equipment Burn 2.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 209
  • Pool Equipment Burn 4.jpg
    Pool Equipment Burn 4.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 209
Given most of GA's electric rate, I'd probably go with a 2-speed Whisperflo pump unless you have some overbearing reason that you require a variable speed.
I agree with the IC-20 being a better choice. An IC-40 would be pretty large on that pool/spa.
I'd most likely stay with the 400k heater as it would allow you to heat the spa up fast and there's only about $500 difference between the 250k and the 400k. And you'll wish you'd have spent the extra $500 once you start using it.
The 8 circuit Easytouch would be my recommendation too.
As for the Screenlogic, that's a personal call. If it's important to you then go for it.

What pump and filter did you have? Is that what it looked like when you found it or has something been removed?

I too wonder. How can the entire metal motors be gone? And all parts of the filter besides the sand are gone? With all the leaves next to the pad, how was there not a brush fire started? :scratch:

The pictures are how I found it. I had a Hayward sand filter, Aqua Plus automation and chlorination, and, I believe, a Pentair Challenger 1hp single speed pump. I should have taken a picture of the equipment when we moved in. I was surprised that the leaves/pine straw didn't burn. I didn't winterize, so I'm guessing the water from the filter and pipes put out the fire.

A concrete pad will be poured to put the new equipment on. Burned equipment sat on blocks.

Atlanta Gas Light was out within the hour and replaced the meter with a new one and tested all of the gas lines.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.