Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Equipment Fire - Replace

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Equipment Fire - Replace

Hey all......We moved this past summer to another home with a pool. Smaller pool, but gained a spa in return. New pool is about +/-10,000 gallons. A few days ago, I was empting out the leaves in the pool and smelled something burning. Pool equipment is just out of sight of the pool. Walked the net of leaves to the woods and noticed my filter was missing. Looking closer, I discovered that my entire equipment pad (less bubbler) was smoldering! What a shock! Pump had been getting louder and was planning on replacing once it stopped. Never imagined I would find it on fire! Most THANKFUL gas meter didn't catch fire and burn down house. See pictures below.

A local builder has recommended the following replacements:
    Pentair« Intelliflo VS« Pump for pool spa
    Pool filter Pentair« Quad 100 DE« filter
    Pentair« EasyTouch« 8 circuit pool & spa control system
    Pentair« IC 40 salt water chlorine generator
    Pentair« Mastertemp« 400,000 BTU gas heater
    Pentair« ScreenLogic« wireless interface to allow system to be controlled by smart devices

Thoughts? Thinking the I could go with a smaller heater and an IC 20 SWG to save some money (it is a small pool after all).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    New Pool: Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Pentair Quad 100 DE filter, Pentair EasyTouch control system, Pentair IC 40 SWG, Pentair Mastertemp 400,000 BTU gas heater, Pentair ScreenLogic wireless interface, Spa, Polaris QT Blower, Polaris 9450 pool cleaner, Gunite w/ Pebble Tec, 10K Gallons
    Old Pool: david-and-kristy-s-pool-build-t8676.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Equipment Fire - Replace

Given most of GA's electric rate, I'd probably go with a 2-speed Whisperflo pump unless you have some overbearing reason that you require a variable speed.
    I agree with the IC-20 being a better choice. An IC-40 would be pretty large on that pool/spa.
    I'd most likely stay with the 400k heater as it would allow you to heat the spa up fast and there's only about $500 difference between the 250k and the 400k. And you'll wish you'd have spent the extra $500 once you start using it.
    The 8 circuit Easytouch would be my recommendation too.
    As for the Screenlogic, that's a personal call. If it's important to you then go for it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/╝hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Sad pics. I ain't believing the shot of that "missing' filter!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

What pump and filter did you have? Is that what it looked like when you found it or has something been removed?

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

Looks like a RF gas meter. They will most likely require a pressure test before it's replaced. They may do it or pass it along to you to have it done.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    What pump and filter did you have? Is that what it looked like when you found it or has something been removed?
    I too wonder. How can the entire metal motors be gone? And all parts of the filter besides the sand are gone? With all the leaves next to the pad, how was there not a brush fire started?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

The pictures are how I found it. I had a Hayward sand filter, Aqua Plus automation and chlorination, and, I believe, a Pentair Challenger 1hp single speed pump. I should have taken a picture of the equipment when we moved in. I was surprised that the leaves/pine straw didn't burn. I didn't winterize, so I'm guessing the water from the filter and pipes put out the fire.

A concrete pad will be poured to put the new equipment on. Burned equipment sat on blocks.

Atlanta Gas Light was out within the hour and replaced the meter with a new one and tested all of the gas lines.
    New Pool: Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Pentair Quad 100 DE filter, Pentair EasyTouch control system, Pentair IC 40 SWG, Pentair Mastertemp 400,000 BTU gas heater, Pentair ScreenLogic wireless interface, Spa, Polaris QT Blower, Polaris 9450 pool cleaner, Gunite w/ Pebble Tec, 10K Gallons

9. Back To Top    #9

Did you find any part of the pump motor?

10. Back To Top    #10

In that first picture it looks like the leaves are not near the filter or pumps. Glad your house did not start fire and no one was hurt. Was that enough to make a home owners claim?
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

11. Back To Top    #11

This is what's visible of the motor:
    Pool Equipment Burn 6.jpg

I'll end up filing a claim. Talked with my agent today. I'm afraid to see what it will do to my rates the next time I renew. But I've got to have a pool for the family!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    .....snipped..... With all the leaves next to the pad, how was there not a brush fire started?
    I wondered the same but I think that any water in the pipes and filter would have provided some suppression. Regardless, these are some pretty incredible pix. Glad it wasn't worse.
    13,000 gal.Peanut shaped IG Plaster (med. gray) w/ 7' raised spa. ALL Pentair: Intelliflow 3hp VS, Cartridge filter, 400,000 btu heater, 2.0hp spa motor, Easy Touch control panel & is4 spa side switch, Intellichlor 40C SWG, Paramount PV3 In Floor cleaning system, spa spillway and two sheer descents. Solar: 10 FAFCO panels 1.5hp booster. Testt kits: K-2006 & K1766 (Chloride/Salt) Fill date August 15, 2114.

13. Back To Top    #13

There but by the Grace... Glad your house is okay!

14. Back To Top    #14

Probably not much as when I made a claim for Hurricane Ike it really did nothing to my rates.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

15. Back To Top    #15

I would definitely recommend having an electrician check the breaker in the house and the wires going from the breaker to outside.

16. Back To Top    #16

Sorry this happened!