Murrieta, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but can anyone confirm that the newer IC40's CANNOT be recalibrated?

I have a two-year-old cell that is going into its third season. It's currently reading 2550 ppm, and not producing chlorine.

Last summer, the cell was reading ~3400-3800 ppm after I cleaned it. Over the last year, the readings have been dropping slowly. I had the water tested at a Leslies, and they measure ~3300 ppm.

I added a 40lb bag yesterday, and the reading has not budged yet. I cleaned the cell a couple days ago with a 60/40 mixture of 31% Muriatic Acid to water. I had also cleaned the cell in the fall before unplugging the cell for the winter.

Thanks. I knew about the cold water, so I waited until the water warmed somewhat before reconnecting the SWG. Water is currently between 58-61 degrees, depending on time of day.

I saw a different thread about replacing the flow/temp sensor. Could that help? I actually have a spare from an issue a couple years ago.

Your water isn't cold enough to account for all of the salt level error your reported, but it would account for a little of it.

Replacing the flow sensor might help. The salt sensor works off of contacts that are part of the flow sensor assembly.

I'm happy to report that the problem is resolved. I replaced the flow sensor (which contains a temperature sensor) and my salt readings instantly went from 2500 PPM to 4000 PPM. So it turns out that it definitely was a hardware issue with the cell.

Interestingly, a tech rep from Pentair emailed me in response to an online support request. He tried to tell me that 2500 ppm was in the normal range for my water temp (~60 degrees F). He said that the IC40 salt readings vary by 70 PPM per degree of water temperature, and that the cells were calibrated at 77 degrees. Now, that may be true, but it begs the question as to why the IC40 cannot reasonably compensate for that variance IF IT HAS A TEMP SENSOR BUILT IN.

Anyway, I'm glad that I don't have to purchase another $500+ cell this summer (knocking on wood).

Thanks for your help, Jason.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.