Tool to get Whisperflo pump basket cover off?

I have a bad wrist and it's challenging to get the pump cover off, with only having those tiny little "ears" to grab on to. I had a pentair whisperflo installed a few months ago and I love it except I strongly dislike the cover design. I really miss the old sta-rite cover; I could use a large screwdriver or other rod to get an easy mechanical advantage. The O-ring design was also superior. With the pentair the o ring is flopping all around and it's a bit of a balancing act to get it to fit all together. Not that difficult, just mildly annoying.

Now that I'm done whining, has anyone come up with a DIY or commercial product to make this easy? I was thinking of ways to fabricate something out of sign post, eg stop sign type, with some metal dowels at the proper distance to make the twisting easier.

Maybe I'm just over tightening the darn thing.

A rubber hammer works well. Just a few easy taps opens the lid. Also, putting a little bit of silicone lube (not sealant) on the o ring helps.

Tip:When lubricating an o ring, never pull the o-ring through your fingers. That will stretch it and make it too big. Always push it through your fingers to lube it.

Yes, hit on the ears. I usually hit one of the ears with my fist (in the direction of opening) to loosen it. If it is very tight, then a rubber mallet as JamesW said.

For tightening, just turn by hand till it is snug, there is not normally any need to "tighten" it down. (If that makes any sense?)

On many pump basket lids, the low pressure alone inside the basket will hold the seal perfectly. The pump basket lid should never be anything but hand tight.

A rubber mallet will then loosen it easily.

If a lid seems stuck try loosening it while the pump is still running. The suction takes some of the tension off. Then when you shut off the pump the lid will pop right off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.