Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tool to get Whisperflo pump basket cover off?

1. Back To Top    #1

Tool to get Whisperflo pump basket cover off?

I have a bad wrist and it's challenging to get the pump cover off, with only having those tiny little "ears" to grab on to. I had a pentair whisperflo installed a few months ago and I love it except I strongly dislike the cover design. I really miss the old sta-rite cover; I could use a large screwdriver or other rod to get an easy mechanical advantage. The O-ring design was also superior. With the pentair the o ring is flopping all around and it's a bit of a balancing act to get it to fit all together. Not that difficult, just mildly annoying.

Now that I'm done whining, has anyone come up with a DIY or commercial product to make this easy? I was thinking of ways to fabricate something out of sign post, eg stop sign type, with some metal dowels at the proper distance to make the twisting easier.

Maybe I'm just over tightening the darn thing.
    11,000 gallon in-ground pool/spa combo, pebble-tec, Sta-rite system 3 cartridge 300 sqft, Pentair Whisperflo WFDS-6 2 speed 1.5 HP full-rated, formerly Starite Max-e-Glas 2 HP up-rated single speed, Sta-Rite Max-E Therm natural gas heater. Jandy Aqualink RS Onetouch. Manual vacuum. Chlorine.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tool to get Whisperflo pump basket cover off?

A rubber hammer works well. Just a few easy taps opens the lid. Also, putting a little bit of silicone lube (not sealant) on the o ring helps.

Tip:When lubricating an o ring, never pull the o-ring through your fingers. That will stretch it and make it too big. Always push it through your fingers to lube it.

3. Back To Top    #3

Where are you placing the blows of the hammer? On to the ears? I guess I'm not understanding how that will work? I must be over tightening.
    11,000 gallon in-ground pool/spa combo, pebble-tec, Sta-rite system 3 cartridge 300 sqft, Pentair Whisperflo WFDS-6 2 speed 1.5 HP full-rated, formerly Starite Max-e-Glas 2 HP up-rated single speed, Sta-Rite Max-E Therm natural gas heater. Jandy Aqualink RS Onetouch. Manual vacuum. Chlorine.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, I just tap on either ear in the direction to make the lid rotate counter clockwise.

Note: Only use a rubber hammer and never anything hard.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, hit on the ears. I usually hit one of the ears with my fist (in the direction of opening) to loosen it. If it is very tight, then a rubber mallet as JamesW said.

For tightening, just turn by hand till it is snug, there is not normally any need to "tighten" it down. (If that makes any sense?)
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Yup.
    I use a rubber hammer on mine too. Just tap on the ears. Works fabulously.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

On many pump basket lids, the low pressure alone inside the basket will hold the seal perfectly. The pump basket lid should never be anything but hand tight.

A rubber mallet will then loosen it easily.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

If a lid seems stuck try loosening it while the pump is still running. The suction takes some of the tension off. Then when you shut off the pump the lid will pop right off.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit