Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Purple

1. Back To Top    #1

Charlotte, North Carolina

This morning, my husband opened our Aquabot Turbo, removed the filter, and noticed a dark purple liquid pooling in the bottom of the unit. It wasn't viscous, and washed away easily. He cleaned everything and put it away.

Our concrete pool tends to run basic, so after checking the pH, he added some muriatic acid. Later, he added some bleach as usual.

Now, the entire pool is a lovely shade of lavender. I've never seen anything like this. I realize that certain metals can color the water, but this seems to be related to the Aquabot issue mentioned above.

Any ideas? The pool was normal this morning, with the very slightest hint of green.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Elverson Pa.

I'm not sure what the purple stuff is, but saying the pool was normal with the slightest hint of green isn't normal.
    Can you post up a set of test results ? Is the green a clear green ?
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Purple

Posting a full set of test results would be a big help and allow us to narrowing down the possible issue.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Also, do you know if there is any copper in the water? High copper and high cyanuric acid can sometimes cause copper cyanurate to precipitate out. Google copper cyanurate to compare pictures to what your stains look like.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Do you have any follow-up on this issue?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School