Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa pump motor wiring pinout?

1. Back To Top    #1

Spa pump motor wiring pinout?

I "inherited" a 20 year old Morgan Spa with a recent move. It has a controller that is older than the Spa (dated 1982). It was running continuously on high speed til I shut off the main breaker a few weeks ago...big mistake. A few days ago the outside temp was going down to the single digits and water temp was 40F so I turned I back on....nothing. Figured the pump might be on a delay so I let it run. Came out to check it later and found water pouring out of the controller chassis! The heater which was part of the controller burst a seam somewhere.

So anyway...I'd like to leave the pump running on low speed. What's the typical plug pinout for a 2 speed motor? I'd like to direct wire the low speed connections and leave it that way til Spring when I will replace the spa pack/heater/pump. No one will use the spa during that time.

Thanks! Don

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spa pump motor wiring pinout?

The wiring for two speed motors varies a fair bit. There should always be a metal plaque on the motor that shows the wiring diagram.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Spa pump motor wiring pinout?

Understood. That's my backup plan if I can't figure out the plug wiring, and may be what I have to do. Is there any standardization in the wiring of the plugs to the controller? Was hoping to scavenge the socket from the controller, and just rewire it on low full time.