Sta-Rite Pool Heater acting crazy

dafraf

Feb 21, 2015
Kenner, Louisiana
I have a Sta-Rite heater model # SR400NA. (Serial # N4 1F03C 018). It is about 10 years old. When trying to use it recently I noticed that the buttons to adjust the temperature would not respond. I had to repeatedly push and/or hold a button in to get it to change.

The next time I tried to use it none of the buttons were responding. It is now "stuck" on. Anytime I turn on the power the heater turns itself on. If I hold the off button it may turn off but, in a few seconds comes back on. The temperature display shows random numbers. One second it will show the correct temperature then change to some other numbers.

I checked for trouble codes on the control board and there are NO lights on. The only light on the board I see lit is the (green) CR25 code. I suspect that the entire control board is bad but, it is a very expensive part and don't want to just guess.

Any thoughts?

Welcome to the forum, and sorry you haven't gotten an answer.

Obviously a guess on my part, but it sounds like the whole board is bad as you have probably correctly surmized. Maybe with a bump, someone can offer a better oipinion.

Best of luck with this, but if you do have to replace the board, and you can, it sure beats a whole new heater.

The keypad needs to be replaced. What you are probably seeing with the crazy numbers is more than likely the pool or spa button is stuck in the depressed position and it's actually showing you the flu stack temp. Replace keypad.

It looks like the replacement board assembly is part number 77707-0013. Looks pricey.

42002-0029z is the keypad membrane

and 42001-0096s is just the control board. I found the part numbers for you but sadly I don't know how to troubleshoot it to determine exactly which one you need.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.