Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leaking at the Pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Leaking at the Pump?

I have a Hayward paper filter and the PVC plumbing to a pad next to it with a Hayward impeller and Emerson motor. I had Leslie's install it a few years ago. It is relatively new and works fine. I have a little protective housing covering it.

I have a leak when I look at the concrete pad by the motor. I checked all the PVC and it is dry. It seems to be near the motor/impeller on the bottom. The motor has a fan below you can see air moving.

I think there is a rubber seal between the impeller and motor. I am thinking of tightening the bolts between the two units. It is a small leak but I am stumped. Thanks for any help.

The tag line below is wrong. It is a smaller pool with a single speed motor.
    23,000 IG plaster pool, hayward 2 speed 2.5 hp pump and 550 sq. ft. cartridge filter, SWG, Polaris 360

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leaking at the Pump?

Might be the shaft seal. Their inexpensive overall. Maybe $10 bucks or so. If you can provide the pump info Model and such might be able to provide more info.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown View Post
    Might be the shaft seal. Their inexpensive overall. Maybe $10 bucks or so. If you can provide the pump info Model and such might be able to provide more info.
    It is a Hayward SP and I cannot see the model number on the cheap foil model and serial number. I tried to upload a picture but they only accept small file sizes. Is it a rubber seal between the motor and Hayward impeller? Thanks.
    23,000 IG plaster pool, hayward 2 speed 2.5 hp pump and 550 sq. ft. cartridge filter, SWG, Polaris 360

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Hi, On the black plastic housing of the pump is a black and silver label. it should be on the side near the basket. It should have a model and serial number. I can get the seal model number for you then. I will also Private Message you my email address and you can send a picture.

John the Hayward tech.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com

5. Back To Top    #5

It is a 2 piece ceramic seal that spins between the motor and the impeller on the shaft.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

If your pump is a Hayward Super 2 then you would need the AS-1521 standard shaft seal or the PS-3868 heavy duty seal for saltwater pools. These seals are easy fxes, with plenty of guides online to show you how to replace.