Pool Light Replacement in Older Pool

Feb 2, 2015
DFW
Ok Experts, I'm ready to get opinions and advice. We are renovating a large deep end pool (30,000 gallon rectangle -T shape). It only has one light. The light is 7" across in size and located under diving board in deep end which is 9 1/2 feet at deepest. It does face the house and patio. I can't change location, and cannot add another without some additional renovation $$$$ added to quote. We think we should at least replace this light while we have the opportunity. Our bet is existing light is close to 20 years old. (was there when we bought the house, and by using signs that we used to estimate the age of pool)

The pool has been drained to get ready for new steps, sun deck, and sitting bench. As we speak, that crete is setting up for that part of update. Next week, they will install new tile, and Pebble Sheen finish weather permitting. We "think" we will be going with Blue Granite in color. We would like some advise on a pool light situation. What are the differences in Halogen, LED, etc. Pros/Cons in lighting? Is it truly worth the cash to buy the $800 multicolored with this finish, or just a good "blue covered", or some other specific type? We would like something compatible with an Easy Touch Controller since we have that option.

Sorry I'm just not savvy on pool lights/electrical. This is our first renovation, and second pool we have owned. Our first build was a custom build from 15 years ago, and frankly I don't remember what the builder used, but we did have multiple lights in that pool that did NOT face the house, thus part of my dilemma with unknowns. Truly open to suggestions.

Hope I've provided enough details for good opinions. Many thanks in advance for the help and your experiences!

Hi Golderdog, and welcome to TFP.

Im game to make a couple of comments.
Teh incandescent light is going to provide much more illumination than a LED one will. The LEDs just dont have the equivalent lumens that a incandescent one does.

Incandescent up front cost is much lower than the LED ones.
Electrical usage of the incandescent is much higher than the LED ones.

The LEDs provide a nice touch with the ability to change colors and have several light show programs that are neat.
LED illumination as mentioned above is considerably less. In order of 30ish % I reckon.

The LED colors you will actually experience are largely dependent on the plaster color too. The darker the plaster color, the less distinct or depth the colors will be from one to the next. White plaster will provide the best distinction between colors.

The operating cost and longeviety are by far better than the incandescent bulbs.

The remote controllability is a function of your control system and not the light system, so thats a wash when comparing the different lights.

With a 30K gallon pool, I dont know that you will be happy with performance of the LED. My pool is 14ishK gallons x 30 ft long, and if it were any longer, I would go back to incandescent. The shallow end although acceptable for me, just isnt very bright at all.

As an option and food for thought. There is a retrofit LED bulb that is available in 120 volts and can directly replace a incandescent bulb. They have circuitry in them and provide color changes and light shows just like the more expensive one does. If you are willing, the option would be install an incandescent, and get the LED retrofit bulb, and if the LED didnt work out, you could put the incandescent back in. The bulb cost about 300 dollars. Combined cost of LED and the Incandescent would come close to equaling or may actually be a little less than the 800 LED system by itself.

I pretty sure you will not be happy with the illumination provided by one LED light (and certainly not when in color mode) with only one fixture in that size pool. I'd stay with incandescent unless you can figure out how to add a light.

Thanks so much. $800 is just too much to install the light, and we think we would only use the blue color the most. Just not worth it, so looking at options. We inspected the LED Color today at Leslies Pool Supply. They had them on sale for $299. Husband is really handy and we don't think we need an electrician, but still turned against it for now. We bought a blue lense cover to see if it would fit as an option to smooth out the glare. However, I made a copy of your reply and sent him the email and see what he thinks as better option. I believe he told me the fixture was a 110. We are taking pictures and as soon as I can get them off-loaded, one of use will start a thread on the renovations also. You guys have already been a huge help in answering some of our questions in previous member threads. Sure pays to do some searching and reading.

800 is a lot of money for a light. And if you went with it and didnt like it, that would just be a bummer. On a pool that large, I think you are making the right choice.
if you wanted to, You can always put in the retorfit bulb later, with less money at risk.

And yes, it certainly does pay off to research and read. A LOT!

Thanks so much. $800 is just too much to install the light.

Sure pays to do some searching and reading.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.