Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gunite vs. Shotcrete

1. Back To Top    #1

Heath, TX

Gunite vs. Shotcrete

Been doing a lot of research on this and I understand the differences between the two. But I am really surprised at how adamant PBs are that their chosen form of concrete is better than the other. One PB just told me that they switched from gunite to shotcrete about 5 years ago, and every pool they built in that period had problems so they switched back to gunite. I know this can be attributed to the crew(s) applying the shotcrete.

What are your thoughts and experiences with one or the other?

Is it true that pebble plaster products (Pebble Tec) adhere better to gunite?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Gunite vs. Shotcrete

I would go with the better crew every time. Either method can give good or poor results depending on how well the proper process is followed. I wouldn't worry about which method a builder uses. Far more important is how good the builder is.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Longview, Texas

Agreed 100% with what JamesW says.

Both gunite and shotcrete have been used for lots and lots and lots of years and X vs. Y, just doesnt pan out.
    Either one can be just fine, or not. It all comes down to how good the install crews are.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge. Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

And no, PT or any other finish will not stick to one better than another. If it did we would have heard about here before now, and it would be well known in the industry.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr